Speckle Sussex-Cockerel or Pullet?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Aynur, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Aynur

Aynur Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2014
    I am new on having/taking care of chickens. I have 10 chicks from hatchery, ordered female. I know there can be still cockerel in between them since even they are not %100 correct. Their birthday is October 7th. So by now, they are 10 weeks old. I still have no clue on their gender.

So, these are the same age. And am I right to suspect, the one in front is cockerel?

Anyone has experience/knowledge that might help?

[​IMG]

2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC!!! The members here are great and so are their chickens[​IMG]!!! This is the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM ON EARTH!!!!

Hope you have fun and if you need anything we are here to help!!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

The one in front does look like a cockerel.

1 person likes this.
  5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Looks like a cockerel to me.

1 person likes this.
  6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I agree with the other members, the one in front looks like a cockerel. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

1 person likes this.
  7. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Aynur

Aynur Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2014
    Thank you all for the very warm welcome. I was reading many of your treads from the start I decided to add more 2 legged members to our clan (3 dogs, 4 cats, 1 conure).

Yes I have many questions and will have more days comes by. Only experience I have , when I was kid, I would stay at the village a month every year that our extended family grows hazelnut. My aunt's free range chickens would run around, I would throw some corns to them. My aunt , me on her back, would find egg in corn field, and even ,when I was too little, she made me believe egg grows in corn field.

People at the village would catch the chicken or rooster during the day for evening meal, I would walk around open the cages so they would have one more day to live. ;-)

Finally, so much debate , decided to have backyard chickens. I learned a lot since then, still so many things to learn. And now I know, eggs come from chicken. :-D

Thank you for the opinions. I was suspecting the moment she wanted to be top of everything, high in places. Then she grow those wattles earlier than others. Now , with your opinions, I am more convinced. And that's what I was afraid of. Since as a rule, I can not keep the roosters in my backyard. Which I think they have beautiful voices, and priceless to wake up with their call. But, I need to find home for any cockerel.

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I raised a speckled sussex this year and she had a very large comb and wattle from the start. I was convinced she was a he and so was everyone else here on BYC. But she ended up being a she. Her comb was the same size as your chick's at that age. However it wasn't as red.

Could you get a full body pic of him/her?

1 person likes this.
  10. Aynur

Aynur Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2014
    Yes, I will do...Thank you.

I have not read or heard anything, but when I pat the chickens with hand stroke on their back till tail. Some lowers the tail, some tails stays up no matter. I have this "idiot" imagination that the one not lowering the tail might have be cockerel. As I said, never heard of it or read it. Just noticed while I was trying to figure out gender of each of them. Trying to see the differences.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by