Speckled Brown Egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jetto, Dec 21, 2009.

1. jetto

jetto Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2009
    Huron County, Ohio
    I'm new to chickens. Our pullets are about 20 weeks old. One golden buff, one Jersey Giant and two Plymouth Barred Rocks.

Our Golden Buff started laying on December 5th. I'm figuring it was her based on her doing the squat thing and going in and out of the nest box alot. She laid a small egg first day, skipped a day, then laid a medium egg. Next day laid a soft shelled egg- interesting. Skipped a day and then laid 9 days in a row- a medium light brown egg each day.

And I know it was her because on occasion I'd go to check and she was the one on the nest. And still squatting when I'd walk in the pen.

On December 19 I got a medium darker brown egg with some brown speckles on it. I thought hmmmmm.

On December 20th I got a HUGE Extra Large Double-yoked egg. No speckles. Today I got a HUGER Extra Large egg- no speckles. Same lighter brown color the Golden Buff had been laying but MUCH MUCH bigger. Like she skipped laying any LARGES and went right to EXTRA or JUMBO.

None of the other girls are doing the squat although their combs do seem redder than what they were. I've seen them all go in and out of the nest box on occasion but no one actually sitting in there like I saw the Golden Buff. I'm in Ohio- it's cold and snowy here but they are under lights 14 hours a day and getting Layena, high protein treats and some gamebird feed for scratching in. Also free choice grit and oyster shell which they all get into on occasion.

So do you think it's possible the Golden Buff is now laying these Extra large eggs or maybe someone else laid the darker brown speckled one and someone else is laying these monster eggs? Sorry I can't post pictures from my phone to the computer. My husband and I were shocked to see the eggs go from medium sized one day to huge the next? Certainly not displeased just wondering who is laying the ostrich eggs, lol.....Kristi

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I think you have two egg layers. The one laying the jumbos and another laying the smaller eggs with speckles. I have girls that lay a speckled egg on occasion. It's not an every time thing.

3. NicInNC

NicInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    I get speckled eggs occasionally from my easter eggers and banties.

4. jetto

jetto Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2009
    Huron County, Ohio
    Ok thank you! I was wondering if they could just sometimes lay the speckled eggs....so I know it's Lucy (the Golden Buff) laying the smaller eggs cause she was in the nest box this morning when I got my one egg of the day....wish I knew which one of the other girls was laying the big ones! Sooner or later I'll find out I guess! Thanks! Kristi

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by