1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Speckled egg question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Carolyn227, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Carolyn227

Carolyn227 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    I have rhode island reds and americanas. I woke up this morning to a lovely brown speckled egg with reddish brown spots. My hens just started laying and I haven't gotten a colored egg yet. I'm wondering if it's possible that one of my hens is not what it appears to be, or if it is common for either of these breeds to lay brown speckled eggs. I'd download pictures but my computer isn't allowing me to download pictures right now for some reason.

2. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    I got 6 RIRs and every one of them has given me a speckled egg at one point or another. Some more than others,sometimes liver color and times that are purple-ish spots and speckles.Probably get 2/3 a day that has significant speckles on them. Even my BRs will throw in a speckled one from time to time.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    RIR's are often known for speckled eggs.

Your Easter Eggers (doubt they're true Ameraucanas, sorry, true ones require avoiding hatcheries, feedstores, and sellers who also got theirs from such) might lay brown eggs, it is possible, but more likely will lay green or blue eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by