Speckled egg ??'s

EggsForIHOP

Songster
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
TEXAS
So...this last Thursday we FINALLY got our first egg! Clearly (I am assuming) it must have been from one of our little banty hens. It was creamy colored with dark speckles (NOT POO or DIRT - I checked extensively) and laid RIGHT IN THE NEST BOX!

THEN...TUESDAY...we got another one!!! This was also a creamy color, but had WHITE-ISH SPECKLES and was laid on the poop board in a back corner - not 'under' the roosts, but for sure back in the corner like it was hidden sort of!

TODAY...DRUMROLL PLEASE....THIRD EGG! Once again, a creamy egg with the DARK speckles, laid down just outside of the nest box - close enough to make me happy!

SOOO.....the jist of this is: Do I have TWO hens laying? Or could one bird lay eggs with different speckles? Because my heart says it's 2 hens, but my head said I had to ask.....

The worst part is I KEEP MISSING IT! I apparently have noon time layers. At 8 a.m. when I get home - no eggs. At ten a.m. when Hubby does his egg check - no eggs. At noon/1p.m ish is when they show up! Finally, the ladies listen to me and lay an egg and now I have to train them to do it before I go to bed in the morning! Anyways....

Does anyone think I could have 2 hens laying? Or is it really just one pulling my legs by changing the speckles?

The speckles can change. My wellies sometimes lay speckled eggs, sometimes not. And my BR every once in a while lays her egg with lavender speckles.

But congrats! Speckled eggs are so pretty!

Back
Top Bottom