speckled egg surprise

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fish n cheeps, Jan 5, 2011.

1. fish n cheeps

fish n cheeps Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2010
    Hi everyone, help me solve a mystery if you can. I got my first chickens last spring, carefully selected the breeds i wanted, and got them from mpc. I have 3 speckled sussex, 4 EE, 1 polish, 1 Delaware, and 2 welsummers. I selected the welsummers primarily for their egg color. I didn't realize until after the chicks were purchased that the wellies would probably not lay the speckled/terracotta eggs because they're hatchery stock. sure enough, everyone started laying, and no terracotta egg. The darkest I have had was comparable to a brown egg from the grocery store. None of my hens moulted this fall, and they're still laying even though it's cold here and the days are short. I usually get 4-6 eggs a day. I got home from work today, and went to gather eggs. There it was, huge, terracotta red, and covered with perfect speckles. My dream egg, the one I thought I would never get. It is beautiful. I love this egg. I know I can wait a couple of days and see if another shows up in the nest box, but I'm too excited to wait that long.

Where did this egg come from? Did one of the chickens that was laying the light brown ones lay it? Could one of my wellies have not been laying and I just didn't realize it? what do you all think? I will know in a couple of days, but I wanted your opinion.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Sounds like a sneaky Wellie...

3. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    I have 2 out of 4 Welsummer pullets laying... and both lay a beautiful chocolate egg, with the speckling all over!! Sure was a suprise to see those! [​IMG]

Sounds like one of your Welsummers started laying finally [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2011
  4. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    Out of the breeds you listed, I only have the EE's... But I get speckled eggs from time to time from various hens.. It is just a fluke sometimes I think. I have scratched at some of the speckled eggs and the specks come off. So it may just be something in their reproduction system with a kink... [​IMG]

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    A well-timed chicken sneeze?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by