1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Speckled Egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Serenity30, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Serenity30

Serenity30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2013
    Southern Louisiana
    Anyone have any thoughts on what can cause this?

We have 2 older hens with the rest that should start laying soon.

It looks like the size of our older hens eggs but the color and pattern is way off.

[​IMG]

2. Cheyen

Cheyen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    An egg's color is added last in the egg laying process. You can think of it kind of like a car being spray painted. An older or younger hen may have this process interrupted somehow, resulting in speckles, smears, odd colors, or even completely colorless eggs. They're just like wind eggs- they happen sometimes. There's probably nothing wrong with your bird, so don't worry. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  3. Cheyen

Sep 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    If you hold that egg under warm water, you can even rub the speckles off! They really are like paint. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I have one hen that lays eggs just like that, and another one that puts the brown speckles on a green egg. It's just a glitch as described above. And yes, my speckles wash right off, another reason not to wash eggs. Speckled eggs are quite cool!

5. Serenity30

Serenity30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2013
    Southern Louisiana
    Thank you guys ! Could this be possibly a new hen laying eggs or just a quick paint job gone spotty on one of the older hens eggs? :)

6. Cheyen

Sep 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    It could be either of them. You won't know unless you catch them in the act.

7. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Agreed

One of my pullets tends to lay speckled eggs, she didn't today though :( I was bummed.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've been getting my speckled eggs for 1 & 2 years each.

9. bdjh

bdjh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Winnipeg
    We have one bird that lays eggs like that - maybe not quite as many speckles - from the first day she started laying. I think they're the prettiest ones we have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by