Speckled Eggs Every 6 Or So Days?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by simmworksfamily, Sep 26, 2015.

1. simmworksfamily

simmworksfamily Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2015
    SoCal
    So my RIR seems to lay a speckled egg every 6 days. I just noticed the pattern today after giving my great aunt a dozen eggs from last week and looking and realizing that the eggs I just grabbed from the nest boxes also included another speckled egg a week later.

Is this normal or cause for any concern? What would cause only one out of so many to be speckled? Is she deficient in any nutrients? Or should I just take it as a pretty egg in addition to the others she's producing? TIA!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi,

I can't imagine its a significant cause for concern. If they are fed layers feed and have some optional oyster shell (for additional calcium if they feel they need it). My older hens sometimes lay such eggs and they are mighty fine!

CT

3. Majd

Majd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    I like speckeled eggs! In most cases it's nothing to worry about, it's basically over pigmentation...

4. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    Now that my Red hen is over 2yo she has started doing the same thing about once a week. It's kinda annoying.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I've had several layers that lay(laid) speckled eggs but the speckles were highly inconsistent...nothing to worry about.

6. DigMyChicks

DigMyChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2015
    Appleton, MN
    X's 2

7. simmworksfamily

simmworksfamily Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2015
    SoCal
    So do I! And the kids are always stoked to find them. They think that Red is special because she changes up her eggs :)

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't anything to be concerned about. Thanks!

8. Majd

Majd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    No problem!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by