1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

speckled eggs question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by raspeary, Oct 26, 2009.

1. raspeary

raspeary Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Cortland New York
    Ok, So tonight my buff has laid her 3rd or 4th egg, and it was speckled on the outside. None of my eggs from her or my rhodies have been speckled. Is this normal? The inside of the egg looked normal.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  2. Kat'sChicks

Kat'sChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Minonk, IL
    I have several BO's laying...2 have eggs with darker speckles, one lays eggs with white speckles. They're all fine. I think it's just their signature!

3. Kat'sChicks

Kat'sChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Minonk, IL
    BTW...are you sure it's from her or do you have a someone else laying now?

4. raspeary

raspeary Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Cortland New York
    This time, yes. I stuck my head in at 4:30 she was in her nesting box. My hubby went out at 5:30 and her egg was there and very warm still. So ti had to be her. But thank you for replying. seems to be quiet in the forum tonite.

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I have a Production Red hen that has beautiful speckles in her eggs now and then. I don't think it's anything unusual-at least I hope not we have been eating them. [​IMG]

6. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Yep, the speckles are completely normal.

7. norcal

norcal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Northern California
    I get them too, but it's never a regular (or signature) occurrence, it's random days. ??

[​IMG]

8. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a Barred Plymouth Rock that always has white speckles on her eggs. My kids say "her egg paint sprayer splatters." Her eggs have always been this way, some days more speckled than others, but they always have some spots. I think it is normal.

[​IMG]

9. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

My EE has been laying for 3 weeks or so now. She gives light tan eggs. Some days they are all tan, sometimes she has a sprinkling of dark brown freckles on her eggs. Maybe it depends on what she ate foraging, plus the fact that she is a new layer. The insides are always delish!

10. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    I'm glad I found this post. I have RIR's that are 21 weeks old and started to give us eggs about a week ago. One pullet is giving us small eggs that are speckled also. Here is a pic of two of the small speckled eggs next to one of the other pullets egg. I guess all her eggs will continue to be this color. Pretty cool I think!
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by