Speckled eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ghenri, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Ghenri

Ghenri Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2013
    I was wondering what the cause of the speckles on eggs are. Are they tiny spots of blood or are they some some of mineral buildup. Today I got an egg that had big spots of dried red stuff on it, I think that was blood. I think it was because it's been a cold winter and they haven't been laying as much. But as to the everyday small spots, what is that because of?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Brown speckles like those common on Welsummer or Marans eggs are just from the brown pigments not being uniformly distributed in the oviduct by the hen. It usually doesn't mean there is a problem, though it can be caused by a defective shell gland or if something interrupted the formation of the egg. White spots are usually excess calcium.
    Link to the Marans UK club that talks about their eggs, spots are really common with them. http://www.themaransclub.co.uk/#/eggs-and-egg-colour-chart/4541995077

3. Ghenri

Ghenri Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2013

Thanks!!! Very interesting. My brown hens always lay different shades of brown, some very rich and deep and some very pale and light. My white hens eggs sometimes come out a bit pink! I don't know what breed she is though. Very good information!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by