Speckled King Snake

Se7en

Chirping
Jun 29, 2022
Destrehan, La
I found this Speckled King Snake under our banana tree not far from our coop. Once I learned that they eat venomous snakes I was going to keep it around since I found a Copperhead in a run a while back. I then also learned they are constrictors and can harm chickens and small pets. So my husband killed it and we put it out where other animals can eat it. My question is: How do you prevent snakes from coming into your yard? We also have grandchildren that visit and now I am quite concerned. As large as it was I hope he ate the Copperheads since we haven't seen anymore. Please advise. What do you do to keep snakes away?

Attachments

• Speckled King Snake.jpg
    Speckled King Snake.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 57
It’s almost impossible to stop snakes from coming in your yard. I have a rat snake that has been hanging around my field for about three years. I haven’t seen a rat around here in two seasons since the snakes arrival. He turned his attention to moles that seem to like the property line on my 5 acre spread. I haven’t seen any traces of moles this year. If he decides he is going to go after my chickens/eggs, I will have to relocate him.

I would love to have a king snake move in here. We have eastern diamondback rattlers in this area as well as water moccasins. I definitely don’t want them to take up residence here so a king would be welcome.

Do some research on the use of plants to keep snakes away. My understanding is that marigolds, lemongrass and other plants with strong odors tend to repel snakes so you might consider planting some around your yard.

I found this Speckled King Snake under our banana tree not far from our coop. Once I learned that they eat venomous snakes I was going to keep it around since I found a Copperhead in a run a while back. I then also learned they are constrictors and can harm chickens and small pets. So my husband killed it and we put it out where other animals can eat it. My question is: How do you prevent snakes from coming into your yard? We also have grandchildren that visit and now I am quite concerned. As large as it was I hope he ate the Copperheads since we haven't seen anymore. Please advise. What do you do to keep snakes away?
Build some snake traps and relocate the ones you trap or dispatch them. The traps look a lot like a minnow trap .https://youtu.be/2P77d2IwbXo

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-14 12.46.54 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-14 12.46.54 AM.png
    303.7 KB · Views: 24

Back
Top Bottom