speckled Marans???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by heritagehabitatfarms, Apr 16, 2012.

1. heritagehabitatfarms

heritagehabitatfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2009
    clinton ar
    so im wondering about creating speckled Marans??? i picked up a trio of speckled Sussex yesterday morning and after i did my brain started its random ramblings lol... i think the colors that are available in Marans are mostly kind of plain... no lacing/speckling/try-colors... i am already working on Lav's and i am just wondering how to get more color/patterns...

i played around with the chicken calculator but not much luck... im thinking the F1's will be all black with maby a little red leakage on the males... the F2's is what im wondering about??? would you come out with red speckled and black speckled or would it all be black speckled with red leakage??? and if so would you ever be able to breed it out to get back to the pure black speckled??? or would i end up with a speckled black copper???

im just kind of toying with the idea right now and wondering how feasible it is... im 28 and i love projects and i think the Lav Marans project i have going is going to take me another 5+ years... so im not worried about the time frame just what i would end up with after the years where done...

thanks for your time and thoughts... Elias

2. Micki

Micki Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2011
    I would LOVE to have Lavender Marans! I bought 4 Cuckoo Marans pullets this spring. They are doing great and are super sweet birds! I also bought 30+ Nankins and plan to show and breed them. We built 5 breeding coops/runs for them. I posted pics on the Nankin thread.

I would love to see how the Lavs are coming along! Also, I think more colors for the Marans would be wonderful. Best of luck!

M.
    DeSoto, Missouri

3. heritagehabitatfarms

Oct 11, 2009
    clinton ar
    i need to take some current pic's of my adult Lav's... i work 65+ hours a week so taking time to do anything other than the absolute necessary is hard... here is the link to the thread about them... like i said im way behind in updating it but it has alot of info and pic's on it...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/455370/lavender-marans

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  4. heritagehabitatfarms

Oct 11, 2009
    clinton ar
    ok i finally got the genes for my speckled Sussex e+/e+ s+/s+ Mh/Mh mo/mo (black patterned red duckwing pied/mottled) ... and went and played around with the chicken calculator...

according to it it will work tho ill pro have to breed more of the F2's than i was thinking i would...

so i have another ??? what does this color look like in real life??? (black patterned gold duckwing pied/mottled) can any one tell me a breed that is that color??? (even without the mottled) the little pic's don't really tell me much lol...

it does say i can get (black unicolor pied/mottled) witch is what i was thinking about to start with... and it says i can get more (black patterned red duckwing pied/mottled) as well... im not sure i want to go there tho... to easily confused with the speckled Sussex...

also according to the calculator all 3 of these colors will breed true the 1st generation... I've never seen that before... is that because they are mostly based on the wild type??? i know i would have to back-cross with the Marans a few more times to get the egg color and type but it is making it sound easier than i had thought...

would appreciate anyone thoughts on this... thanks Elias

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by