1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Speckled Sussex - a few questions.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BackyardBirds720, Jul 8, 2011.

1. BackyardBirds720

BackyardBirds720 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2008
    North Central Florida
    Hello everyone!

I am looking to get some chickens once more, I had Buff Orpington and Australorp last year; they were all victims of a vicious do attack. [​IMG]

So I am looking to get more, once I get my house rebuilt (it also burnt down in a fire last year), so I was wondering how Speckled Sussex compare to Buff Orpingtons and Australorps.

I love the looks of the Speckled Sussex, and am specifically wondering if they are good layers... good brooders... good mothers... good foragers... friendly and docile.

Thank Y'all!

-BB720

2. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    We have 4 SS, and they're wonderful. The aren't come-sit-in-your-lap birds, but they are energetic, curious, and very funny. They also aren't the best layers, and we've never had any go broody. Our only roo is a SS and he is the sweetest thing! He comes in the house, eats treats from our hands, let's us pick him up, goes on car rides with us, and does a great job managing his flock!

This page helped me a lot:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/breed-chart

3. Rocky Road

Rocky Road Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    I have a speckled sussex roo also but he for sure was the slowest growing in the bunch.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I had a SS hen, and she was such a character! She always walked around sort of grumbling to herself....She wasn't a lap chicken by any means, and not the best layer, but boy was she pretty!

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My SS loves to sit in my lap. She is very sweet. I don't know about egg production, but wikipidia says they lay roughy 240-260 eggs a year. My SS is so sweet, she has two flock mates under each wing every night when they go to bed. She is my favorite, due to her all around sweetness.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  6. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    We had our SS our on pasture, and let me tell you, they were foraging MONSTERS!!! [​IMG] They ranged far and wide, but within the perimeter fencing of our farm. They scratched around, had thier own adventures, and were super friendly and curious! Every time we'd ride through on the 4 wheeler, either checking cows or pulling the trailer w/the feed and water, they'd come runnin up and hop on the 4 wheeler expecting food [​IMG]

Here they are coming back from another pasture adventure a few months ago

[​IMG]

I miss em [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by