1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Speckled Sussex and Black Australorps?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by annmarie, Jan 26, 2009.

1. annmarie

annmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    I'm looking for 2 or 3 breeds to add to my flock this spring and I think I've narrowed it down to Speckled Sussex and Black Australorps. The 2 big things I'm looking for are very good layers and very cold hardy breeds (I'm in Vermont). I don't have any experience with either of these 2 breeds but on paper they seem like good choices. I was wondering what people who have experience with either of these 2 breeds think. Thanks!

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I just ordered 10 black aussies & two speckled sussex for my MIL. We live on the COLD, dry side of the Cascades (it's currently 10 degrees outside) and we usually have VERY cold temps. She's had the Aussies in the past & loved them...she just wanted the Speckled for their looks....You could always order a mix of them from a hatchery and see which performs best?

3. annmarie

Nov 20, 2007
    I think I will order a few of each. I just wanted to run it past the BYC crew to make sure no one had any warnings about either breed!

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I love my SS. Very friendly birds. I haven't had BAs for years, but liked them when I had them.

5. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    If you have an incubator, I have lovely speckled sussex eggs for sale and would be glad to ship you some.

Here's their pic:

[​IMG]

Hatching rate is great. We're a small 2 person farm with chemical free produce, eggs, bunnies, goats and more.

Thanks!

6. sussexgal

sussexgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey AnnMarie,

I have SS hens and BA roo with 3 BA hens.... Both are winter hardy. The SS lay smaller eggs than the BA.... the BA roo experienced some frost bite to his comb and waddles this year - just an FYI if you're thinking about keeping a roo. As far as personality, the SS have it hands down! What wonderfully quirky birds they are.... very curious, talkative, and friendly.

7. annmarie

Nov 20, 2007
    Bargain, your SS birds are lovely, but I haven't made the incubator jump just yet. I'm trying to control myself! [​IMG]

Sussexgal, thanks for your input. With a name like Sussexgal you're obviously a fan! Now I'm excited! I love a quirky chicken. I'm not planning on any roos so hopefully the hens combs will be okay. I'm already bag balming a few of my large combed hens on particularly cold nights so it's okay if a few more need some extra TLC in that department.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  8. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I have never had Specked Sussexs so I can't help you there, but I hate my Black Austalorps ! their mean to me, they peck, and sqack (sp) if I so much as touch them [​IMG] , but anyone I talk to says their nice birds, but I have to admit there very pretty.

9. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    I have had both. Both breeds are great birds. I do agree the Sussex eggs are smaller than the Australorps, and they may not lay quite as often. But I would have them both again.

10. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've never had SS, but I do have BA and they are awesome! Very sweet and personalble (and nosey!!!). Also exceptional layers of jumbo eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by