Speckled Sussex and Black Australorps?

annmarie

Songster
12 Years
Nov 20, 2007
I'm looking for 2 or 3 breeds to add to my flock this spring and I think I've narrowed it down to Speckled Sussex and Black Australorps. The 2 big things I'm looking for are very good layers and very cold hardy breeds (I'm in Vermont). I don't have any experience with either of these 2 breeds but on paper they seem like good choices. I was wondering what people who have experience with either of these 2 breeds think. Thanks!

I just ordered 10 black aussies & two speckled sussex for my MIL. We live on the COLD, dry side of the Cascades (it's currently 10 degrees outside) and we usually have VERY cold temps. She's had the Aussies in the past & loved them...she just wanted the Speckled for their looks....You could always order a mix of them from a hatchery and see which performs best?

I think I will order a few of each. I just wanted to run it past the BYC crew to make sure no one had any warnings about either breed!

If you have an incubator, I have lovely speckled sussex eggs for sale and would be glad to ship you some.

Here's their pic:

8875_sussex.jpg

Hatching rate is great. We're a small 2 person farm with chemical free produce, eggs, bunnies, goats and more.

Thanks!

Hey AnnMarie,

I have SS hens and BA roo with 3 BA hens.... Both are winter hardy. The SS lay smaller eggs than the BA.... the BA roo experienced some frost bite to his comb and waddles this year - just an FYI if you're thinking about keeping a roo. As far as personality, the SS have it hands down! What wonderfully quirky birds they are.... very curious, talkative, and friendly.

Bargain, your SS birds are lovely, but I haven't made the incubator jump just yet. I'm trying to control myself!
tongue.png

Sussexgal, thanks for your input. With a name like Sussexgal you're obviously a fan! Now I'm excited! I love a quirky chicken. I'm not planning on any roos so hopefully the hens combs will be okay. I'm already bag balming a few of my large combed hens on particularly cold nights so it's okay if a few more need some extra TLC in that department.

Last edited:
I have never had Specked Sussexs so I can't help you there, but I hate my Black Austalorps ! their mean to me, they peck, and sqack (sp) if I so much as touch them
he.gif
, but anyone I talk to says their nice birds, but I have to admit there very pretty.

I have had both. Both breeds are great birds. I do agree the Sussex eggs are smaller than the Australorps, and they may not lay quite as often. But I would have them both again.

Back
Top Bottom