1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

speckled sussex and poop on vent feathers - u too ??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by math ace, Dec 8, 2010.

1. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I have some very fluffy speckled sussex. Picture BIG Butterball chickens!

I haven't inspected all of them yet, but my biggest speckled sussex has issues with getting poop on her vent feathers.

I looked for lice or mites and did not see any. . . . . Her vent area looks perfectly normal.

Does anyone else have issues with their speckled sussex getting poop on the rear end ? ?

2. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    well, not a SS, but my BO had to have a "hair cut" on her butt the other day. she had a line of brown goin' down for about a week and i figured she'd preen it off or somethin'. but no, finally i inspected it....and she had a yucky hard poop ball on the feathers below her vent. funny, cuz her eggs are very clean (thank goodness!) but i cut her butt feathers a bit short and she's been doing fine. i worried about cutting too close to those pin feathers. this may be a VERY dumb question, but does anyone know if blood is in the bottom of feathers? i was afraid if i cut too short, she would bleed.

3. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    In my flock there doesn' seem to be a reationship between fluffy butts and cleanliness. Quite the contrary. My Australorp is seriously fluffy, a real beauty queen. She squats deeply to poo, plus she is pretty meticulous - her fluff is immaculate. She'll stop and groom in the middle of a treat frenzy, while the rest just merrily splatter things all over themselves. My messiest girls are production reds with skimpy skirts. They don't seem to care, though they don't seem to get big gobs or anything. I did a round of baths for everyone last summer when we had a lice problem, and they've been fine since. If someone had a poop wad I think bathing would be my first approach.

Yes there is blood at the base of feathers, but mostly in growing ones. If the shaft looks black near the base it is a "blood feather" and you need to avoid the dark part of the quill while trimming.

4. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    This SS is my favorite SS. She is the one who follows me no matter where and what I am doing. She doesn't eactly follow - - she walks with me or ahead of me. Such a little Alpha hen. She is so cute, she squats immediately anytime I want to pick her up. I must be her very favorite roo [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Needless to say, I am gonna need to do something over the cling ons . . . [​IMG] [​IMG]

I could trim her fluff . . . I just hate to think about doing that while is cold out. I don't what her fanny to get cold. I Swear ALL my birds have put on a winter coat ( like a cow or horse). They all seem fluffier recently !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by