Speckled sussex? Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by clacasse88, Jun 28, 2010.

1. clacasse88

clacasse88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    This was a mystery chick from MPC. This pullet is 4 weeks old.

[​IMG]

2. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Wow very pretty! looks like a Barnevelder.

what kind of comb does she have?

I got 4 Barnevelders from MPC this month!

3. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Speckled Sussex -- we have one that looks very similar.

4. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    That would be my guess. White legs, speckles coming in. If it is, in a few weeks, the speckles will really start to show around it's head. I would also guess it to be a female. I love my SS. The eggs are smaller than other breeds, but they all lay one almost everyday. Also, they make a great looking and tasty table bird. Their feathering is beautiful when they get out in the sunlight.

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    OH, you are so lucky if that is a speckled sussex! They are sooooo pretty! I have a pullet and she is a dollbaby! Very big now, and she's such a character! Now I wish I had a rooster......

Lucky you!

6. clacasse88

Sep 13, 2009
    Hollywood Chicks: What else did you get from MPC? It was very exciting to get a mystery batch.

[​IMG]

Here's another pic. Tried to get a close up. I'm hoping this is the same little girl . . . I have 2 more that look very similar.

They are very pretty.

7. clacasse88

Sep 13, 2009
    Quote:I'd love to see pics. Do you have any? [​IMG]

8. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

My SS looks like that too. She's 3 weeks old now, and her speckles are getting brighter on the newly emerging feathers, At first I was disappointed cuz they were all tan colored spots, but they are getting sharper on the new feathers.

9. christy's chicks

christy's chicks New Egg

Apr 1, 2010
    Quote:Did your baby chicks have really yellow bellies? I checked out MPC to see if I could determine which chicks they shipped by their pics. and the SS had really yellow bellies -- I had one that didn't make it and was very upset. These other three that are starting to look like SS look exactly like the pic. just not so yellow on the belly.

10. JackieinYorktown

JackieinYorktown Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2009
    I got a SS from MPC also in my variety pack. I just posted a few other pictures. See if any of them look familiar to you. Also I did get 5 yellow/white/cream birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by