1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Speckled Sussex as meat bird?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by UBkevy, Mar 17, 2011.

1. UBkevy

UBkevy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Buffalo
    I have recently been interested in this breed of chicken buy all I can find around are straight run. So if I get them I would have a bunch of roosters and I would hate to waste them. So I guess I am wondering are they worth it? I see they are duel purpose but are they worth it? Is there enough meat and is the quality of the meat good? I would cull them just as they start to crow just because I do not want to piss off the neighbors. I would likely get barred rocks and buff orpington straight run too but I have heard they are not a bad meat bird, or have I heard wrong?

2. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    cant say I've had a speckled sussex lately, but they get pretty big. so I would think pretty good meat size, sweet birds.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

White skin, not common yellow color. Hefty. Roos will weigh 9 lbs, but will begin crowing at 5-6 lbs. A bit slow to grow, actually. Nice meat, but their conversion of feed to weight isn't anywhere near other breeds, if that matters to you. In other words, you'll have more in them.

4. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I have processed my extra roos and they are no better or worse than most other DP roos. I do like the shape of the carcus, it's nice and square like a meat bird. The females are too small to even think about getting a nice dinner out of.

5. UBkevy

May 5, 2009
    Buffalo
    I have never had a roo how big is a sussex roo by 5-6 weeks if thats when I have to start being concerned about the crowing?

6. NevadaRon

NevadaRon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    I think he said they would start crowing at 5-6 lbs., not weeks.

7. UBkevy

May 5, 2009
    Buffalo
    ohhh then thats not bad, so its more like 13-14 weeks

8. Fred's Hens

When they begin crowing, and I assume you don't want that for neighbors, they'll also be ready for processing. You won't be able to wait, I assume, until they have their full adult weight. Individuals vary, but some might start trying out their voices around 18 weeks, some later than that. Growing "fryers", that is, young dual purpose roosters, for butchering at 17-18 weeks is a time honored practice. In the '50's and '60's, My dad always brought home 250 White Rock and Leghorn day old chicks each spring for me to care for. By late September, they were Sunday fried chicken. To this day, I still love Rocks and still don't think much of a Leghorn. [​IMG]

9. Fred's Hens

Here's a picture of a full grown Spec Sussex.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Fred's Hens :

When they begin crowing, and I assume you don't want that for neighbors, they'll also be ready for processing. You won't be able to wait, I assume, until they have their full adult weight. Individuals vary, but some might start trying out their voices around 18 weeks, some later than that. Growing "fryers", that is, young dual purpose roosters, for butchering at 17-18 weeks is a time honored practice. In the '50's and '60's, My dad always brought home 250 White Rock and Leghorn day old chicks each spring for me to care for. By late September, they were Sunday fried chicken. To this day,still love Rocks and still don't think much of a Leghorn. I [​IMG]

Made me laugh! We had bunch of white Leghorns when I was a kid and I can't stand them now.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by