Speckled Sussex Bantam?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by annav410, Mar 17, 2013.

1. annav410

annav410 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Broomfield, Colorado
    We bought some chicks at the feed store last week and one of the identified chicks was a Speckled Sussex. All of the chicks are roughly the same age, give a day or two. I am starting to think that my Sussex might be the bantam variety. At what age would this be noticeable? She is tiny compared to the other chicks after a week of growing. While small, she is very healthy, friendly, and getting along well with the others.

I can post pictures if that might help.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Anna

2. Xovan

Xovan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    Oneida County , NY
    We got 6 last sat. 4 speckled sussex 2 red sex link. 1 was real small until two days ago. now it is the biggest go figure. amazing growth in a couple days.

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I got one SS with my first mixed chick order and she was tiny compared to some of the others and took longer to feather. She grew to be a good size; not breeder-quality Sussex large but not a bantam. This time around, I have 1 out of four and she's tiny and slower to feather but she's lively and bold and I'm not worried.

4. annav410

Mar 7, 2013
    Broomfield, Colorado
    Thanks for the feedback. I guess I will just wait and see how she grows. [​IMG]

5. Brahmaman

Brahmaman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2012
    Centennial Colorado
    I also got a Speckled Sussex at the feed store with my black Cochin and light Brahma and she is a lot smaller than the other two but she is the first one to grow feathers. What store did you get yours at?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  6. annav410

Mar 7, 2013
    Broomfield, Colorado
    We got the Sussex at Murdochs.

http://www.murdochs.com/westminster/storeinfo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by