Speckled Sussex chick - boy or girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aglandaetap, May 2, 2017.

1. aglandaetap

aglandaetap Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2017
    Bridgeport CT
    Hey guys,
    This Speckled Sussex chick is 3 weeks old this week. Purchased as a pullet from a local feed store in CT.
    This chick has feathered out very fast, along with my ameraucana and my white leghorn. Always had a small pale comb, with no signs of wattle. This chick had the chipmunk patterns on her back. She looks like a girl to me.
    Can anyone help me identify her gender based on the pics posted. I am new at raising chicks. I've been doing a lot of research on each breed i own, but I want someone else's input regarding the gender based on the pics.
    Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    As with your other chicks, there are no obvious male characteristics showing yet, but it is still very early (the obvious boys are the ones easily sexed at this stage - or those with gender differentiated plumage patterns such as your sex link). It'll be another couple of weeks (6+ is great for sexing) before a good read can be gotten on most of your birds.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    too young, please post new photos at 6-8 weeks of age.

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by