Speckled Sussex Chicks--Is This One Stunted?

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Picked two sexed Speckled Sussex pullets up as mates for an older single chick. They are from Ideal, same age from same shipment, via the feedstore, something I haven't done much of in recent years. A week later, it's obvious that one is not growing the same as the other. Looks like its back is shorter. Its wings look way too big for its body, too, and its legs are like toothpicks, so thin. It eats and drinks, but is much more lethargic than the other one and chirps quietly a lot. What do you think? Is it going to make it? Is it genetically weak?

DSCN1223.jpg

DSCN1222.jpg

DSCN1225.jpg

When I ordered my first set of chicks from Ideal one of the Dominiques was smaller than the other two. She's still with me and is still smaller. She may make it but may not be as big as her sister.

I was talking to a guy at the feed store (and he breeds, so he knows a bit more than most feed store employees that I've encountered) and he told me that if he hatches out one with a short back, he culls it because there will not be room enough for its organs to develop properly. I'd never heard of that before and wondered if there was any validity in his premise. I'm not going to reproduce these at all, but I'd still like to know more about that theory. This pullet is definitely stumpier than her sister and much less vigorous.

Dang Cyn. She's definitely smaller than her sister, isn't she. It could be simple genetics. My whole family [mom, dad, two sisters and myself] is small, even though the grand parents from both sides were of normal size!
lol.png
Maybe that's the story here?
hu.gif
If you're not going to breed either of them, I don't think I'd get overly concerned about it. Just give them both the best life possible, as I know you will, and hope that she makes it. She might just be a late bloomer.
idunno.gif
Hope she hangs in there for ya Cyn, and that something more serious isn't going on. How's the chick doing for whom these chicks were intended to be company for?

She seems okay, just on the slow side. If she makes it, that'll be good, but if not, then she wasn't meant for this earth anyway. I 'm definitely not planning to breed Sussex, but I would love to know if the short back has some significance in their ability to thrive over time. If you see something about that Kathy, please, pass on the info. Thanks!

I have one BR chick who is smaller too. I got her from Belt hatchery 2 1/2 weeks ago. At first, she was a bit lethargic and I wasn't sure if she was going to pull through. Well, she seems fine now. Good luck with your chick, I hope she pulls through.
big_smile.png

I hope she does well Cyn. My Ideal speckled sussex are the prettiest birds, albeit very low on the pecking order.

You remember Lil'Bit and she was stunted like that. She never caught up in size but was as healthy as could be.

Back
Top Bottom