Speckled Sussex Chicks or are they?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Justuschicks, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Justuschicks

Justuschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Keswick, Virginia
    I have a flock of five speckled sussex hens and one speckled sussex roo. I have hatched chicks from them with no problem up until this week when some non-sussex chicks hatched. Help! I keep my breeds completely seperate from each other so I know there is no cross breeding here. I know the eggs came from the sussex pen because I am the only one who the rooster doesn't attack and I label them as soon as I gather them. Here are the pictures. The yellow and black are the chicks in question. The brown one is one of the sussex that hatched the same day. I am starting to think I have a very talented rooster in a neighboring pen....or a sneaky hen.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Highly suspicious! Those are gonna be so pretty!

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, they sure are cute....Not SS, but cute! Maybe your kids or spouse mixed up your eggs! [​IMG]

4. Justuschicks

Justuschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Keswick, Virginia
    I was asking a friend of mine who had speckled sussex bantams and also had them separated in their own pen and she would have a black one hatch out from time to time. I have another batch hatching out in a couple weeks and a broody laying on eggs so
    I will have to see how that goes.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I see one Speckled Sussex and the rest are either Anconas or Mottled Javas.

6. aceschix

aceschix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    New Hampshire
    They do look like my Mottled Javas! [​IMG]

7. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    Quote:x2

8. monkeemakr

monkeemakr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Swansea, SC
    My vote is on the sneaky hen

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  9. cassidy22

cassidy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Front Range - Colorado
    I segregated my sussx hens and my roo form several weeks in order to hatch. Are they ALWAYS separated? I hatched several straight sussex chicks, and a handful of all black ones with little fluffs on their head. I KNOW my polish roo was not able to get into their coop. But I began to suspect that a roo can fertilize several developing eggs at one time, and that my polish roo had already gotten to the girls before they were separated with the sussex. Birds do have many many eggs in process inside their bodies - not just one that develops each day. So I imagine the can be fertilized several days, maybe even more, before they lay the eggs.

So if those birds weren't always separated, they may have gotten fertilized by someone else previously. track them as they grow, you might find the culprit.

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Oh I see your issue now. [​IMG] Didn't read it through.

Well, in order for you to get such odd flukes that are still mottled, you'd have to have someone jumping the fence around who is ALSO carrying the mottling gene, as mottling is recessive. If you have anyone else around who isn't a Sussex but has white tipped feathers, that is your culprit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by