Speckled Sussex chicks with weird comb

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SVRabbitry, Nov 29, 2013.

1. SVRabbitry

SVRabbitry Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    I ordered hatching eggs and the Cockerels (Now about 10 weeks old) have weird combs coming in. They look folded.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fosterson

fosterson Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow. That is odd looking. It's almost like it's ingrown in a way. I'm getting some SS soon so I'd love to hear other opinions on this! Will it hurt the chicks or just make them unshowable?

3. SVRabbitry

Aug 3, 2013
    The Pullets look just fine. Should I cull the Cockerels?

4. fosterson

fosterson Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, I don't know as I've never seen anything like that before. My advice is wait and observe them and see if anyone who knows more about combs can enlighten you before you do anything you might regret later.

5. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Had you planned to keep and breed with the roosters for anything other than meat or eggs?

I wouldn't breed from them if you plan to sell or show as its not a trait you want to pass on, as they should have a single comb. I also wonder if the girls carry the gene and could pass it to their male chicks.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  6. SVRabbitry

Aug 3, 2013
    I'm planning to sell.

7. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi, [​IMG]
    Do not breed birds with weird combs. These look almost like a rose comb. Something is wrong here.
    Cull every bird from your breeding flock which shows any manifestation of this.
    Mark any females you keep which are manifesting a normal comb. Know which chicks come
    from which hen. If any chick starts to grow this comb,
    cull the chicks and the hen which laid them. While combs don't count for a lot of points in showing,
    An improper comb is visually disfiguring. Hard to sell birds from a flock with disfigured combs.
    Personally, I think there is foreign blood in these birds pedigrees. Maybe a rose comb breed.
    It's possible the seller isn't aware of this. Find a new cock and hen from a different strain. Try
    Tony Albritton in ID. Walt Reichert in KY or Gary Overton in OH. If they don't have stock, Ask
    then if they know of anyone near you who has stock from their flocks. Call these people and see if they
    have anything available. Don't be afraid of taking an older cock or hen. You just need them for one
    or two seasons to give you a new generation. Breed any of your present Sussex to them which
    are normal. Mark all the chicks and if they show weird combs, cull them and the birds from your present flock
    which were their parents. Do not cull your newly acquired birds. You should be able to figure out
    where the problem is coming from and fix it in one generation.
    Best,
    Karen
    in western PA
    Waterford English Light Sussex

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by