Speckled Sussex Chicks

CluckyJay

Songster
8 Years
Feb 23, 2011
Crossville, Tennessee
Now, other than the SS, every chick I have does well and acts strong.

Are these weak birds in the hatcheries? I got some from mcmurray and some came from another hatchery. ALL of the chicks are much weaker than the ones I hatched and the others that came from the hatchery.

I got them from two different people, two different hatcheries. I got other chicks in the same order and they are all fine!

They just don't seem to thrive--one actually died out of the first round. :-( Same care and everything as the other chicks.

Last year I had that with Buff Orpingtons, and I wound up losing all of three of them, they just failed to thrive, same care, same situation. All else did fine.

I am getting chicks on Friday, and I got some more Buffs, but we will see.

MrsK

My SS knocked the waterer and out of the 4 in the kennel, she got really sick. I had the brooder full of new babies. Stuck her in the warm brooder with the babies. Duh, got them sick too. Although, she'd never make it alone. She needs company. I thought she'd be gone forever, but a miracle happened and she pulled through!

Last edited:
Well, those two died today. Others of that breed from the lady died at her place. Are the hatcheries running the same bloodline on the SS? One was from McMurray and the other i cannot remember.

Back
Top Bottom