Speckled sussex cross??

RIRJen

Songster
11 Years
Mar 7, 2008
I bought a bunch of speckled sussex chicks and was told there may be a few mixed. There are some that are not getting any white on them. Are they a certain breed or do you think they're mixed? Thanks!
7110_june2010_065.jpg

7110_june2010_067.jpg

7110_june2010_068.jpg

Last edited:
the top picture is a different chick then the bottom two. At this age they should have white all over thier faces and chest at least and these obviously don't...but he does raise other breeds so for all I know these are another breed???

was just told by the person I got them from they might be barnvelders??? I don't know that breed well enough but the top picture does look like one...but the other ones are too light in color??

He just also sent me this email...anyone agree??

that looks to be a welsummer roo although I also hatched barnevelders out in that same time frame. The lighting wasn't the greatest when Babette was here, so you might have a mixture of Barnevelders and wellsummers in that bunch. They will all be purebreds though as each breed was in separate pens. The Barnies will have flecking like the sussex, but will be more dark and have no white in them. Welsummers, will be a tan brown and their striping seems to run down the length of their bodies as opposed to barring across the body

Back
Top Bottom