Speckled sussex cross??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RIRJen, Jun 25, 2010.

1. RIRJen

RIRJen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    I bought a bunch of speckled sussex chicks and was told there may be a few mixed. There are some that are not getting any white on them. Are they a certain breed or do you think they're mixed? Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  2. RIRJen

Mar 7, 2008
    the top picture is a different chick then the bottom two. At this age they should have white all over thier faces and chest at least and these obviously don't...but he does raise other breeds so for all I know these are another breed???

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Top one looks like it could be a SS X cornish
    Lower two look like SS X RIR...

Just guesses. [​IMG]

4. RIRJen

Mar 7, 2008
    was just told by the person I got them from they might be barnvelders??? I don't know that breed well enough but the top picture does look like one...but the other ones are too light in color??

5. RIRJen

Mar 7, 2008
    He just also sent me this email...anyone agree??

that looks to be a welsummer roo although I also hatched barnevelders out in that same time frame. The lighting wasn't the greatest when Babette was here, so you might have a mixture of Barnevelders and wellsummers in that bunch. They will all be purebreds though as each breed was in separate pens. The Barnies will have flecking like the sussex, but will be more dark and have no white in them. Welsummers, will be a tan brown and their striping seems to run down the length of their bodies as opposed to barring across the body

6. Iluvmypeeps

Iluvmypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Arizona
    You definitely don't have any barnevelders either. The bottom two look to be Welsummers, not too sure about the top one.

7. jenn-E

jenn-E Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    The bottom 2 look like Welsummer hens. Does the top one look penciled or specked? I think Barnvelders are supposed to be penciled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by