Speckled Sussex gender? (19 weeks!)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by littlehouse, Mar 16, 2012.

1. littlehouse

littlehouse Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    Hi there,

We're still having trouble deciding what gender this chicken is, even though he's 19 weeks old now. 'His' hackles are definitely pointier than his sister's, but there's no sign of saddle feathers, and his comb and wattles are only fractionally more developed than his sister's, and nobody's crowing. Are hackles conclusive enough by themselves, or should there be other proof by now?

Maybe I should mention that when I bought them at 7 weeks old, I picked the two least roo-ish out of a clutch of 5, the others had much more white on their chests, and much larger wattles and combs. I really would have thought this one were a girl but for the pointy hackles, as she's the more timid of the two..

Will try to post a pic when I get a chance, but thought I'd ask first in case that was enough to go on.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  2. pic would help a LOT, for experinced people sexing a 19 week old would be easy [​IMG] oh and if hes 19 weeks, is hes a she s/he would start laying (or at least checking out the next boxes) soon

3. littlehouse

littlehouse Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    I know, It's kind of embarrassing at this age really! As for the egg issue, my girls consistently seem to be late bloomers, not starting til at least 23/24 weeks, and my RIR girl was 9 months! I was going to give 'him' away tomorrow to a friend who wants a roo, otherwise I'd just wait and see.

Will get to work on the photo as soon as the kids stop trying to start WW3. Hmm, that might take some time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by