1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Speckled sussex genders

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hemsandchicks, Apr 22, 2016.

1. hemsandchicks

hemsandchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Hi all. My little speckleds are just over 3 weeks old. I know it's very early to tell, but I think the big one may be a rooster, which is okay. He is almost twice the size of the other two, and stands tall like an ostrich. The first pic is the one in question, but they are all so cute.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lovechickens202

Lovechickens202 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2015
    Oh that is SO cute. But don't be so sure till they start crowing. In the past I have thought countless chickens were roos but they turned out to be normal hens. (I am on the same page with you on this one though.)

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Irish Colleen Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    To young to say for sure, I would post again in at the least 2 weeks (maybe more).

4. hemsandchicks

Jul 17, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Wanted to share a couple of updated pics. I think they are about 11 weeks old now. I'm thinking he's a roo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Yep, looks like a handsome young cockerel. [​IMG]

6. hemsandchicks

Jul 17, 2015
    Rhode Island
    I was in the barn this morning feeding, and I heard a few sorry attempts to crow. So it's definitely confirmed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by