speckled sussex hen are butterballs . . . R the roos good eating ?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by math ace, Oct 30, 2010.

1. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    So, I have a couple of speckled sussex POL pullets. They are way more "butterball" in body shape than my other large fowl breeds. . .

Now I am wondering if the roos would be any good for eating ? ?
    The pullets are a "smaller" bird than my other large fowl breeds,
    BUT they have a very full and round chest.

Would the roos be a little smaller, but heavier in the chest too ? ?

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I don't know, I love my sussex girls. They are very thick. I think they would make good moms too. I will be using one in the spring, she has already gone broody once and set on eggs but I didn't let her hatch them had way too many little roo's running around.

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Oh I like your pig. [​IMG]

4. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    I've been wondering the same thing. Wanting a new dual purpose to look at. Trying to decide if I want to stay with NHR or go back to Turkens or try the Speckled Sussex. Suppose I could have all three but then what one Roo to keep. Decissions, decissions come Spring.

Sussex just because they are pretty, course I think the Turkens are too. I like to enjoy what I eat long before I eat it.
    Nope, not interested in the CornishX fast foodies.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My Marans roo at 10 months is HUGE!! I imagine he would dress out and tenderize nicely.

6. Jared77

Jared77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Howell, MI
    How are your New Hampshires doing? What size at what age?

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If I remember correctly, Speckled Sussex were originally bred to be a meat or dual purpose bird, before the days of the Cornish X.

8. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:Good to know ! I have marans and they are bigger birds, but not compact and solid like the speckled sussex POL pullets are. . .
    I am waiting to see how these speckled sussex survive my summer heat. If they do well next year, I may consider getting a roo and doing some breeding. .

9. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Speckled Sussex are a dual purpose. Oh, forgot Roos are always bigger than the hens. If you look at Hendersons chicken Breed Chart, he lists lots of info. But the weights are for hen size, Pullets usually 1# less. The weight for the Cockerals usually 1# more and somewhere inbetween the girls size for the little cockerals. I think I have that straight.

I am down to 1 NHR hen. Won't buy from a farm store again. Dad raised NHR almost a lifetime ago and they were The choice for a dual purpose, then and that was in MI. That and the Barred Rock. Still are in my book. But I want more colors to look at. NHR still are I think the fastest to grow out of the Dual Purpose. Don't know about the new Freedom Rangers.

But think on this. The meat breeds other than the Cornish were developed from the RIR and the NHR (which was selectively bred from the RIR). Then being crossed with others, like the Plymoth Rock or Delawares.

So any of these dual purpose are going to give you a nice slow growing meat and egg bird. Which is what I want, I want to process when I am ready not when the birds are ready.

I like my S Buttercups for meat because of the fast growth, stays tender a loooooooong time and they are pretty. But they are small, but then for the 2 of us that's enough. But they are also real smart and I can't keep chasing them around to get them to come in from free ranging. So I am thinking about another breed.

No one asked but I think Ideal is crossing Turkens with NHR. My, they are some big birds and cook up real nice at 16 weeks, with jumbo size eggs for the ones I don't process. Notice I keep birds that I can cross and still tell what mixes I have. Buttercups, pure will have the Buttercup Comb. Turkens will always have a naked neck if it is in the cross. NHR with the Buttercup turns out to be a butterscotch color with Buttercup markings, real pretty. May just stay with that and get more NHR Pullets.

Sorry rattling on, I am doing a Coturnix quail hatch and doing some plotting and planning at the same time. I really like the Sussex looks so I may order some of them in the Spring, too.

10. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    buttercup chillin - - Thanks for all the info. No need to be sorry for the rambling. I learned quite a bit through your post . . .

So, I am hatching some delaware eggs right now. . . Which do you think would make for better eating

Speckled sussex or delawares ? ?

I also don't want to be in a hurry to harvest if I don't have to be . . . so the slow growth sounds good for me [​IMG]

I am interested in breeding the hens and selling the chicks.
    I know the roos don't sell, so I will probably end up eating a bunch. . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by