Speckled Sussex Hen or Roo 17 weeks old

DanyyChicken

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Southern NH
Is my Speckled Sussex a Roo? I do suspect so! This would be a real disappointment as my roo count is climbing!I have a mixed flock and I suspect my roos are out numbering my hens at this point. Ugh! I think this is a roo due to alot of behaviorly aspects I observe. This Speckeld Sussex challenges my two other known cockerels (Wyandotte and Standard Cochin) with face to face confrontations and hackles flared. Thick legs and recently enlarging wattles. Comb has been pink/red for some time now. Some iridescent green coming out on feathers. I have searched images on web for Speckled Sussex Roo and the images I have seen do not look like this bird but maybe they are images of older roos. I was told it was a pullet but I suspect I was fleeced or feathered which ever the case maybe.
sad.png

84645__2011_july_chicken_pics0003.jpg
84645__2011_july_chicken_pics0007.jpg
84645_2011_july_chicken_pics0026.jpg
84645__2011_july_chicken_pics0004.jpg
84645__2011_july_chicken_pics0010.jpg
84645_2011_july_chicken_pics0044.jpg

Yeap going with a roo, looks like a few of my roo ss, and you should start to see its neck spine feathers coming in, like get hold of your bird and start to look around his neck for the shiny pointed feathes the other roos get, cuz he should start to get them soon.

Last edited:
Rooster....sorry
sad.png
I know how hard it is to get so many roos! I bought straight run Blue Cochin Bantams this year...I soooo wanted a BLUE one but out of 4 chicks I got only one that is a girl...and she is black
sad.png

Nice looking roo though...

Thanks to everyone for their help and comments in confirming my sneaky suspicions. This is such a bummer for me. This means my current roo count is 6 Roos to 5 hens. I have some very difficult decisions to make about which ones will be going for a ride with me on Monday to be relocated to the Humane Society for potential rehoming. There is no way I would be able to rehome so many roosters my self and I'm sorry I don't have the constitution to complete a chiropractic job on any of them. How did I allow this to happen! I was suppose to go to the swap to just get factory sexes pullets only, ugh! Three of the ones that have turned out to be Roos were some of my young sons favorite birds! I will have to break his heart! Dumb Mommy!
he.gif

Point taken....we have been prepping him since we got them in May. We were actually out in the run last night and I was trying to bring up the subject in discussion but he started to get upset when I mentioned that pajamas and fluffy top (the two bantams) would be rehomed. I believe pajamas is his current favorite. He then told me Coach ( the standard Cochin) couldn't go cause he's the boss (or so he thinks). You can see my dilemma. It's tough to reason with a 5 year old. He tends to change his mind from day to day! Just amongst these three doesn't care so much about the other three. So I'm trying to consider size and temperaments of the favorite roosters in the equation to make the safest decision. In my mind it would most likely to not keep any but I'm trying to spare him from all the heartbreak but obviously on the other hand I don't want him getting hurt by an attach either. That why I'm beating myself up inside over it all.
I have another post running under flock management regarding children and roosters.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Ps when I first saw your post with my morning eyes I thought you said to have a discussion with the speckled Sussex about which roosters would be going.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom