Speckled Sussex, Male or Female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DiAntunes, Feb 28, 2013.

1. DiAntunes

DiAntunes New Egg

Feb 27, 2013
    Hello everyone,

I wanted to see if there is anyone out there who is more experienced than I am with this sort of thing. I got a Speckled Sussex chick about 5-6 months ago. It was supposed to be a female but, of course, there is always that small margin for error. I really like this chicken (I hope it is a chicken), and it is a breed that is supposed to be a rather good layer. I would be very disappointed if he was a rooster, but oddly, it is one of the tamest we have in our little flock.

So far, everything points for it being a rooster (no crowing, though). But I wanted to ask what you think. Here are some pictures. I hope they are good enough, they were taken with a cellphone camera.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  2. Shireshome

Shireshome Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    That is most certainly a rooster. He's very handsome though!

3. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    X2. You might want to hang on to him if you can have roosters since he has such a nice personality.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  4. DiAntunes

DiAntunes New Egg

Feb 27, 2013
    I knew it!

Thank you. Yes, he is handsome :)

Like I said, one of the tamest in the flock, which is a nice change from the aggressive guy (towards the chickens and humans) we had before. I hope he does not become a nuisance to the neighbors. Roosters are not allowed in the city of Seattle. Sshhhh~ don't tell anyone he's here ;)

5. chickenz101

chickenz101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    X3 cockerel

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    I have to agree as well, cockerel!

7. Moonhair

Moonhair New Egg

Jul 22, 2013
    so the feathers on the back, the ones that seem to "curve" are they what gives the Rooster away at this age? I ask because I have 3 Sussex purchased as chicks and they all seem to look alike ( the speckles are different on each) but two have lighter combs than the other. Thank you for your time

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by