Speckled Sussex maybe laid first egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tulsaoldhen, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Tulsaoldhen

Tulsaoldhen Just Hatched

Sep 3, 2016
    My 18-week-old Speckled Sussex, Mildred, I THINK laid her first egg 4 days ago. But she hasn't laid anything since then. Is that normal?
    The egg she laid was a large egg, cream colored with a slight pinkish tint. It was as big as those of our 2-year-old Welsumer, Nellie.

Since Mildred hasn't produced anything else yet, though she has gotten very noisy with bawk-bawking around the yard and squatting when I put my hand near her back, I'm wondering if it was not her egg I found in one of the nest boxes.

Is it possible that this egg could have come from my Welsumer and just not received its usual coat of dark brown for some reason or other? The Welsumer didn't lay anything that day (she usually produces an egg every other day), unless this odd colored egg is hers.

Still waiting for my 2 Wyandottes to produce. They're the same age as Mildred. I understand they may take longer to mature. But their combs and wattles are getting redder, so I think we're close.

I appreciate any comments to solve my mystery. (I told my daughter I might go install a spy-cam in the coop just to know who's laying! Kidding about that, but if I had the money to splurge, I'd probably do it.

2. CoopintheWoods

CoopintheWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    It could be either (though I'm not sure about the welsummer thing). Sometimes pullets lay an egg, and then do not lay for several days. If the hen is getting louder and squatting, she most likely will lay again soon. [​IMG]

3. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I have both breeds, Speckeled Sussex and Welsummers. SS lay small eggs, not large. For an SS pullet to lay a first egg and have it come out large is pretty nearly impossible.

It is more likely that your Welsummer laid the large egg, and yes, they are sometimes laid without the signature brick red pigment. She may have been low on the spent red blood cells that usually coat the egg.

4. Tulsaoldhen

Tulsaoldhen Just Hatched

Sep 3, 2016
    Thank you so much, Flock Master! You confirmed my suspicion, though I was hoping the SS was the culprit.

The Welsumer has laid her normal color eggs since that one weirdo, so guess there's nothing health-wise I need to be concerned about?

5. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You have normal, healthy chickens. Eggs sometimes turn up like that from time to time. Nothing to worry about.

6. Tulsaoldhen

Tulsaoldhen Just Hatched

Sep 3, 2016
    Well, it's only been 7 weeks since I thought my young SS hen Mildred laid her first egg -- and determined that she didn't.

FINALLY, she produced one yesterday!! Hurray! She's 26-1/2 weeks old now. Photo attached shows her perfectly shaped little egg alongside one from Nellie, our reliable Welsumer 2-year-old hen.

Now for the 2 Wyandottes (also 26-1/2 weeks old) to quit being freeloaders and get with the program!

It's so much fun having them in my city backyard!
    [​IMG]

7. burkechicken

burkechicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2017
    Wisconsin
    I have 5 barred rocks 5 R.I.Rs and on SS she has been laying for maybe2 or 3 months now and she definitely lays a smaller egg than the rest. Pretty easy to spot the SS egg. She is also makes way more noise than the others

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by