Speckled sussex on 8 silkie eggs! Question..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chixaregreat41, Aug 8, 2014.

1. chixaregreat41

chixaregreat41 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    bruce mines
    Hey guys! I have a speckled sussex hen on 8 silkie eggs, one red sex link cross and a sussex egg... Are speckled sussex's broody? Do they make good mommas? Do you think she will get off the nest half way through? Sorry I've only had 1 broody that hatched eggs but please help! Also any ideas why she made her OWN nest? There's tons of best boxes.. But she made a nest using the hay.. Thanks guys! :)

2. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    She made her own because that's the place she wanted to be in, and where she wanted to sit. If its on the ground/ floor of the coop then she realises that its safer than nest boxes that are raised ( assuming yours are) . She should be fine, Sussex hens are a bit like Silkies when broody, very determined so unless something botheres her like a mite infestation or a predator she should sit just fine. They usually make good mums but can be very clumsy and accidentally squash their babies. so just keep an eye on that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by