1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Speckled Sussex or Silver Laced Wyandotte? Guesses?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AUChickenGal, Mar 5, 2017.

1. AUChickenGal

AUChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2016
    AL
    Two of my five September pullets are laying! [​IMG] Ethel, one of my two Easter Eggers, has been laying reliably for almost two weeks - 9 eggs in 11 days. She's a keeper, for sure! Today, I got my first egg from another pullet. I'm trying to determine whether it came from my Speckled Sussex or my Silver Laced Wyandotte. The Speckled Sussex has been squatting more reliably and has been in and out of the nest boxes more (that I've noticed) over the last week or so. The Silver Laced Wyandotte was the first of the pullets to develop a bright red comb and wattles and has only squatted a couple of times for me (but she's extremely high strung, so I don't often get within arm's reach of her). The egg is a litter darker than I was expecting to see from the Speckled Sussex, for what that's worth. The image below was taken outside in natural light, next to one of the Easter Egger's eggs for comparison.

[​IMG]

Any guesses? It doesn't REALLY matter, but I'm curious and very analytical by nature. [​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My Sussex eggs has always had a pink tinge to them. I'm guessing your Wyandotte.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  3. AUChickenGal

Apr 15, 2016
    AL
    Thanks! That's what I'm leaning towards, too.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Ditto.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    For the also curious and very analytical :

Time to learn buttchecking!

Vent Appearance:
    Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
    Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying.

Pelvic Points, feel for the 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
    Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
    More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

6. AUChickenGal

Apr 15, 2016
    AL
    Thanks, aart! I've tried to do some investigating of vents, but the SLW is a lunatic and also very, very fluffy behind, so getting a good exam on her is tough. From what I can tell, though, I think it was her egg. I expect an egg out of the SS any day now, too.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You can feel the points with out parting the feathers....with some practice.
    It's really hard to part feathers on your own with one hand....but that can be done too with more practice.
    I examine birds after dark off the roost wearing a head light...have a chair to sit on with bird on lap.

8. AUChickenGal

Apr 15, 2016
    AL
    Well, they both laid today! I'm confident now that the first egg belonged to the SLW. I got one the next day that was much lighter and had some blood on it; I think the one belonged to the SS. The SLW laid again yesterday, and then I came home to this today:
    [​IMG]

The lighter egg has a slight pink tint to it, so I'm pretty sure that one belongs to the SS. Now I just have two of my late September pullets who aren't laying yet. Soon I'll have more eggs than I know what to do with!

9. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Congratulations again.[​IMG]

10. AUChickenGal

Apr 15, 2016
    AL
    Thank you! I feel like a kid on Christmas every time I check the nest boxes!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by