Speckled Sussex or welsummer?

Azurecooper

Chirping
Jun 23, 2021
Hey friends. I just got a 20 mix batch of welsummer and speckled Sussex. Trying to research the visual difference between them but it’s seems to be a toss up. Does anyone know how to distinguish the breeds? I know you can auto sex as well, any suggestions?

Attachments

• 5723CF30-09B3-4023-B42A-74CEB39671A7.jpeg
    5723CF30-09B3-4023-B42A-74CEB39671A7.jpeg
    724.2 KB · Views: 89
I am no chicken expert but I did just receive 8 baby chicks on June 3rd and one of them was a speckled Sussex. I have never owned a Welsummer and i have no idea what they look like as chicks but those that you have there look a whole lot like my speckled Sussex chick.
20210604_140910.jpg

Hey friends. I just got a 20 mix batch of welsummer and speckled Sussex. Trying to research the visual difference between them but it’s seems to be a toss up. Does anyone know how to distinguish the breeds? I know you can auto sex as well, any suggestions?
It's super difficult but...
The ones with the pinkish legs - that only have brown/tan on head...are speckled sussex
The ones with yellow legs - that also have a partial yellow stripe, in addition to brown/tan on head are wellsummer
We had a similar problem earlier this year
Once they feather out a bit, the speckled sussex may grow one or two white feathers on wings. It takes nearly full feathering to develop significantly pleasant speckles.

It's super difficult but...
The ones with the pinkish legs - that only have brown/tan on head...are speckled sussex
The ones with yellow legs - that also have a partial yellow stripe, in addition to brown/tan on head are wellsummer
We had a similar problem earlier this year
Once they feather out a bit, the speckled sussex may grow one or two white feathers on wings. It takes nearly full feathering to develop significantly pleasant speckles.
Outstanding response. It blows my mind how knowledgeable about the contrast you are! Thank you millions

Back
Top Bottom