Speckled Sussex........ Owners Opinions Please

I think mine are just great, sort of the chicken equivalent of Quarter Horses
tongue.png

I will probably always want to have a couple individuals of other breeds around, just for variety (and would like some blue/green egg layers as well) but as far as breeding goes I think I will stick with my sussexes
smile.png

The only thing I'd say against them is a) they are not the least-hungry critters in the world, although I must say they're snorkin' back a lot less food now that I have further bill-proofed their feeders, and b) the darn things keep losing and regrowing feathers so I just get used to recognizing an individual by its markings when the markings morph into something completely different. I need leg bands, or photos of combs
tongue.png

Pat

My Speckled Sussex are very sweet but don't come to us to be picked up like several of the other breeds we have. We can easily pick them up and hold them or pet them though.

Also, one of my SS girls flies over my six foot fence, everyday, to get into the barn before the rest are let out to free range. Now, she was raised with Guineas so maybe she learned that behavior from them. The only other two that fly over my fence are my two EE's.

They have been very consistent egg layers.

Back
Top Bottom