?Speckled Sussex? PICS!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by welovechickens, Mar 16, 2009.

1. welovechickens

welovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Here she is!

[​IMG]

Another angle, where you can see the pattern on her new adult feathers. Anyone have guesses as to what she is? lol

[​IMG]

And here's my bantam baby, Peanut! She's standing up tall here because she thinks she'll be able to sneak past my hand and jump out! Little stinker (literally, lol) You can see my possible SS sitting down in the middle there, and Penny peeking in from the side. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    I think she is an Easter Egg (EE) chick. She looks like a couple of mine.

3. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I agree with DouglasPeeps. My SS chicks don't look like that at all, but some of my EEs have.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't think she's a SS either......mine look different than that as chicks.

5. welovechickens

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    So is an Easter Egger just a mutt-type chicken? LOL Or is it a particular breed?

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Pretty much a mutt, but there's nothing wrong with mutts...they lay eggs too. [​IMG]

7. Bil

Bil Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    Here is what I have that was called a Speckled Sussex (I'm new so I just take what the store said they were):

[​IMG]

The first column is 1 day, 2nd is 1 week, 3rd is 2 weeks.

Just thought I would post so we could compare.

Bil

8. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    It is a "mutt" type chicken. In the very nicest kind of mutt way! They are great chickens that lay beautiful eggs. Both of my EE's laid a seafoam/pastel green colored egg. Absolutely beautiful!

9. welovechickens

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Bil, thanks for posting the pictures! Those helped a lot. My chicken doesn't have the white part on her wings like yours do, though the pattern on the feathers are very similar.

I agree, mutts are great! [​IMG] I'm looking forward to seeing what she looks like when she's grown.

10. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Bil those are wonderful pics, thanks for posting them. That's what my SS chicks look like.

Elisabeth, you may already know this but no one specifically said: If the chick has green legs, that would be another clue that it's an EE. Also, EEs lay blue or green eggs usually, so it's definitely a nice mutt to have.

Good luck with all your chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by