Speckled Sussex pullet or cock??

dsfrango

Songster
8 Years
Sep 12, 2011
Stafford Springs
I got this little one a couple months ago with 2 other chicks. I believe this one is almost 4 months old. His comb is just a little bigger than the G Wyandotte of the same age but doesnt look super big to be a cockerel. Some opinions please...
106460_comb2.jpg

106460_comb1.jpg

It was guessed to be a hen at a month old like the other 2 which I am sure are hens

Last edited:

Lothiriel

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Aug 30, 2007
New York State
My Coop
My Coop
Sussex have been hard to tell on lately.
tongue.png
Right now, based on the potential age, this one looks like a pullet. But there have been several folks on here with Speckled Sussex with combs like yours does, and they've been told boy, and a while later they came back and said, just wanted to let you know, she laid her first egg today... And the other way around. So... It's pretty much just a guess with SS. Good luck though, and hope it is a girl!
smile.png

hdowden

Crowing
8 Years
Aug 14, 2011
louisiana
comb and wattle development say pullet but then again i have been wrong on ss before because of their developmen
hmm.png
but i would say pullet

dsfrango

Songster
8 Years
Sep 12, 2011
Stafford Springs
Quote:
hah, thats funny thinking you have a roo and it starts popping out eggs:gig. I am definitely hoping for a hen or Ill prob have to get rid of it and I unfortunately lost the contact info and address of where I got them:(
But you have given me hope:) Thanks

RAREROO

Crowing
10 Years
Jul 22, 2009
Alapaha, Ga
I would say roo on that one. I have raised SS for a couple few years and yes they can be tricky, but I would be pretty sure that its a roo, one indication I found when I was raising them is that the roos faces were usually whiter around the eyes like yours is and the pullets tend to be a bit more brown.

debid

Free Ranging
10 Years
Jan 20, 2011
middle TN
Check this girl out:
10 weeks, here. Note the pinking wattles and the pointy tail feathers? But, she's also shaped like a teardrop.
77440_chickens_129.jpg

She was 16 weeks in this photo and I had someone on the Sussex thread practically insist she was a roo because of the wattles, comb, and shiny green tail feathers (not to mention the white face).
77440_p1040725.jpg

She lays pretty little pinkish eggs.

My advice, look at the body shape. I can't tell with the photo angles you took but if your bird is shaped like a gourd, pullet. If it's tall and upright, cockerel. The face could go either way.

Top Bottom