Speckled Sussex pullet or cock??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dsfrango, Jan 7, 2012.

1. dsfrango

dsfrango Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    I got this little one a couple months ago with 2 other chicks. I believe this one is almost 4 months old. His comb is just a little bigger than the G Wyandotte of the same age but doesnt look super big to be a cockerel. Some opinions please...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It was guessed to be a hen at a month old like the other 2 which I am sure are hens

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Sussex have been hard to tell on lately. [​IMG] Right now, based on the potential age, this one looks like a pullet. But there have been several folks on here with Speckled Sussex with combs like yours does, and they've been told boy, and a while later they came back and said, just wanted to let you know, she laid her first egg today... And the other way around. So... It's pretty much just a guess with SS. Good luck though, and hope it is a girl! [​IMG]

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    comb and wattle development say pullet but then again i have been wrong on ss before because of their developmen [​IMG] but i would say pullet

4. dsfrango

dsfrango Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    Quote:hah, thats funny thinking you have a roo and it starts popping out eggs:gig. I am definitely hoping for a hen or Ill prob have to get rid of it and I unfortunately lost the contact info and address of where I got them:(
    But you have given me hope:) Thanks

5. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    When I see it I think pullet... But those chickens can be deceiving! *nod nod*

6. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I'm thinking Pullet also!

7. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I would say roo on that one. I have raised SS for a couple few years and yes they can be tricky, but I would be pretty sure that its a roo, one indication I found when I was raising them is that the roos faces were usually whiter around the eyes like yours is and the pullets tend to be a bit more brown.

8. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    He looks younger than 4 months old to me. I vote rooster.

9. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Check this girl out:
    10 weeks, here. Note the pinking wattles and the pointy tail feathers? But, she's also shaped like a teardrop.
    [​IMG]

She was 16 weeks in this photo and I had someone on the Sussex thread practically insist she was a roo because of the wattles, comb, and shiny green tail feathers (not to mention the white face).
    [​IMG]

She lays pretty little pinkish eggs.

My advice, look at the body shape. I can't tell with the photo angles you took but if your bird is shaped like a gourd, pullet. If it's tall and upright, cockerel. The face could go either way.

10. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I think you have a cockerel. [​IMG] I will wait to see it does turn out to be. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by