Speckled Sussex... pullet or cockerel???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickengal7, Aug 29, 2014.

1. chickengal7

chickengal7 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2014
    At the beginning of July I got three Speckled Sussex chicks from a feed store, they were sexed and thought to be pullets. These are my very first chickens (but definitely not my last) and I know that sexing is not always accurate at the hatcheries (90%). When I first got them, one of the chicks was significantly more friendly than the other two. When she got her wing feathers she would flap to me and land on my arm and was noticeably more friendly than the other two. They are now about 8 weeks old and are turning out to be beautiful. They all three have had different coloring since day one, so I can easily tell them all apart. The lightest one is the one that was most friendly early on. However, now she is the most standoffish and does not tolerate being handled very well. Since I first got them she has been at the top of the pecking order. If I try to usher them away the other two will comply and move away but Sadie (the one possibly in question) will fluff up her feathers at me and give a flap or two of her wings before moving away. I understand that this may just be her personality but I have wondered about her since day one... her feathers also came in slightly slower than the other two. I do not have the slightest clue what to look for to tell if she possibly may be a cockerel rather than a pullet? I have tried looking up this information but it's really hard for me to tell since these girls are my first chickens. Her feathers do seem to have a more pointed appearance, however, I do not know if this is an illusion because of her light coloring or if they are actually more pointed as a cockerel's would be.

Basically I am just wanting some opinions :) I want to know if there is a chance she is a cockerel or just simply a grouchy girl :) either way I don't care because she isn't going anywhere... would just like some input!

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]
    She is in the middle in this one.

[​IMG]
    Sadie

[​IMG]
    She is on the right

[​IMG]
    Body shot of Sadie

[​IMG]
    She is in the middle here

2. AlannaB

AlannaB Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2014
    Three very pretty birds. They are not always the easiest of breeds to sex. There isn't too much difference in size or feather shape, and the combs all still look rather henny. Unless the tail and wing feathers start to lengthen and more iridescent green appears, I am inclined to say that Sadie is a pullet. AB

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

None of them are screaming rooster to me, and by this age you'd usually know with Sussex.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    To me, they all look like pullets.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They all look like pullets to me.

6. Avlana

Avlana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2013
    Pennsylvania