Speckled Sussex pullet with swelling leg PICS ADDED

Four Acre Bliss

Songster
11 Years
Jan 22, 2009
Virginia
One of my just-about-ready-to-lay pullets has one leg that has swelled to double the thickness of the other. She's walking on it fine, acting perfectly normal, eating and drinking and pooping and all that. I'm not sure what to do for her -- should I confine her and put her on antibiotics? I couldn't see a wound when I was inspecting her from a foot away, but she's my skittish one who doesn't like to be held, so I wasn't able to flip her over to take a better look ... will do that first thing in the morning when I let them out of the coop (she has to go by me to get out!). The leg is not red at all and doesn't seem to bother her, it's just HUGE all of a sudden. Any guesses as to what this might be?

Last edited:
Quote:
I wouldn't unless you find something that signals you should tomrrow.

I would soak it in ebson salts it can't hurt her but it might help her.
I hope it is not something internal
fl.gif

Good luck

Thanks. I just went out to shut the coop door for the night and she's up on the roost and she does seem to be favoring that leg a little bit. It's kind of out to the side. I can't tell if that's due to size or pain. I guess I'll see how she is in the morning ... I'm new to chickens, so if there's something that this could obviously be, please do continue to suggest ideas ... thanks.

I got hold of her this morning and was able to really check her leg. It shows no sign of injury but is very squishy and swollen and a bit pinkish around the ankle. She runs around on it fine. The weird thing is that on both of her feet, her toes are now turning black on top. Does anyone know what this could be? It almost seems circulatory. We're short on funds and I hate to call the vet if I can get some answers here ... anyone have an idea?

Last edited:
Check for something that could be cutting off her circulation: rubber band, hair, etc. It could be bumblefoot--a kind of staphylococcus infection in the foot. Do a search for "bumblefoot" here and you might find some answers. Could we possibly get pics?

I really have no clue but a spider bite or other insect bite of some sort came to mind. I hope the swelling starts going down. She's absolutely beautiful!

Look under her foot. Is there a bubble looking mass?

If so, then it may be Bumble foot! I bad case it seems too if the leg is swelling.

Let us know when you look! There are lots of people on here that can help with that if so!

Back
Top Bottom