1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Speckled sussex puzzle...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by magicpigeon, Feb 20, 2011.

1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Actually, contrary to what is said in the title, the bird in question is a S.S. Sexlink. I know, if it's a sexlink, I should be able to tell, right? Well, I have no idea what he was crossed with but am almost sure it's a cockerel.
    He grew a tail very fast and feathered out incredibly quickly but the tail is incredibly high for a girl and he now has a little comb. He also has the beginnings of spurs and longish legs, but as I said, I have nothing to compare him to so...

Here is a pic of him as a chick:

[​IMG]

And yes, that IS the same australorp. They are best friends [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So: I was just wondering if anyone knows what kind of birds his parents were (speckled sussex is a given) and if he is definetely a boy. Thanks [​IMG]

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Looks like a pullet to me. How old is the chick? The high tail may have nothing to do with gender, but more to do with the breed it is crossed to. Some breeds, including hens have higher tails. All birds have spur bumps and hens can even grow large spurs like a rooster. I have no idea on the possible breed though.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think it's a boy.

What do you mean by it's a sex-link? You don't know what it was crossed with? [​IMG] I'm confused--more info?

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Exactly what I was thinking.

The only way you can make a Sex Link from a Speckled Sussex is if the male is the SS, the female from the crossing is barred or silver, otherwise, that's no Sex-Link. [​IMG]

5. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    Have to agree with HINK I think its a pullet.

6. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    By sexlink, what I mean is the owner was marketing them as S.S. but now I know they were sex linked as half was pale yellow and the other half were reddish and darker. As I said, I have no idea what the S.S. was crossed with, only that one of the parents was one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by