Speckled Sussex Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Suskm, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Suskm

Suskm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2012
    Fort Valley GA
    I have three 8 month old Speckled Sussex hens. I am thinking either they're very late to begin laying or they're sterile... hope it's not the later! I am getting conflicting information about the egg color (from dark brown to light brown) they lay. Can any of you share images of what your eggs look like from these birds if you have them. I been observing these gals and realized that I've never seen them in the laying boxes. Maybe you can give me insight on the breed. They are so friendly, curious and beautiful but I need productive hens. I have Australorps, Welsummers, New Hampshire Reds, Easter Eggers, Barred Rocks and a couple of Red Comets. I am trying to distinguish which girls are laying which eggs.
    Thanks and looking forward to your picts!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I've had a few SS before and really liked them, especially for their coloring and sweet personalities. They are decent layers (not great but not bad) and the eggs I got were a lightly tinted brown color. My girls would lay about 4-5 days out of 7. They did seem to be a tiny bit slower growing than others I had (like the red sex links) but they caught up to the rest fairly fast.

Here's a link to the breed reviews (scroll to the very bottom of the page to see a summary):
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/speckled-sussex

I don't have a picture of their eggs unfortunately, just lots of pictures of their pretty feathers. [​IMG]

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've not had that many, but I was never that impressed with them as production birds. Mine were average layers (probably 4 a week at peak) of medium light brown eggs. For their size and how much they ate, I decided not to continue with them in my flock.

that said, I was out buying some Delawares a few months ago and picked up a SS pullet. Just cause my Honey likes them so much---they are nice eye candy, and usually very sweet, friendly birds. Have to keep the Honey happy, he's so tolerant of My Chicken Habit [​IMG]

4. Suskm

Suskm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2012
    Fort Valley GA
    Thanks Donrae and NFC! I'm inclined to keep them around for a little while to see if they're actually going to produce.... if not I will have to make a decision as to whether they are worth keeping. But they are lovely birds! That's why I got them in the first place.

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Yep, lovely for sure. You might start seeing eggs with the days slowly getting longer. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by