1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

speckled sussex question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by scott919, Mar 3, 2009.

1. scott919

scott919 New Egg

Mar 3, 2009
    Hello everyone, I have three speckled sussex chicks and my question is that tomorrow they will be two weeks old and two are far more advanced in feathers than than one yet the same size overall. I'm wondering if its a cockerel or the others are older than I was told. I got two barred rocks at the same time that were a week older and they are a bit larger. Its been 30 years since Ive had chickens and I am enjoying it so.. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. When I can figure it out Ill post a couple of pics.
    thanks, Scott[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  2. MSHEN

MSHEN Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Monticello,MS
    I've heard that pullets feather more quickly? Any one else know this as a fact? Ther are allot more folks out there with more experiance than me, but I knoe I saw that on here somewhere! [​IMG]

3. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Boy I don't know...maybe you should just send those speckled sussex to me....I have been wanting some of those...
    (and my pullets of all breeds are feathered much more than my male packing peanuts which were hatched the same day)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  4. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I agree. Pullets usually feather in faster. Also, their tail feathers usually come in faster.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'll be watching this thread.

Here is my week old sussex and I'm guessing roo, just from the stance.

[​IMG]

6. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    I raised 4 speckled sussex pullets and one roo last spring. The pullets feathered out faster. They are cute!

7. NOnuggets

NOnuggets Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene Idaho
    oh - I am so hoping you guys are right...I think I'll go count again...here I was thinking that's a boy and that's a boy, and that's a boy...do I have any girls??? I've got lots of tail feathers!!!

8. scott919

scott919 New Egg

Mar 3, 2009
    thank you everyone for the help, i think i have a roo.[​IMG]

9. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    you have cute chicks:jumpy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by