Speckled Sussex Roo or Hen?

Quote:
I agree, Age is going to sway my vote on this one. Both of my girls had plenty of white and nice big combs early on, so don't give up quiet yet, but if you could tell us the age that would be great.

BigDaddy'sGurl :

Roo and hatchery quality speckled sussex. Very cute boy!
smile.png

What makes it obvious it is a hatchery bird? Im new to this so Id love to be able to tell when buying from people. Im trying to stay away from hatchery birds​

Quote:
I agree, Age is going to sway my vote on this one. Both of my girls had plenty of white and nice big combs early on, so don't give up quiet yet, but if you could tell us the age that would be great.

I'm just the opposite on this one. My Speckled Sussex where the birds it took me the longest to sex.
idunno.gif

Quote:

I'm just the opposite on this one. My Speckled Sussex where the birds it took me the longest to sex.
idunno.gif

That is why I'm requesting the age on this one, I knew by age 11 or 12 weeks mine for certain but I was back and forth because of the comb and wattles before then, they are very hard to determine.

Looks exactly like my hatchery Speckled Sussex roo (Belt Hatchery) - he's 7 weeks old today and crowed for the very first time this morning! He has tons of white like that too, and so do his sisters.

Quote:
What makes it obvious it is a hatchery bird? Im new to this so Id love to be able to tell when buying from people. Im trying to stay away from hatchery birds

looks like a roo right now(without knowing its age)

speckled sussex chickens are not supposed to have that much white on them. if you are wanting quilty chickens then you need to do some research on breeders. good quilty chickens more than likely will not be cheap. hatcherys breed birds for egg prodution mainly so they tend to be less in quilty standered wise(breed standered). although if your just gonna use them as pets or for 4-h and nothing else then hatchery quilty is alright. if your wanting to breed for the better of the breed then go to breeders. i got my d'uccle for free and have no clue were he came from but i know he's not full show quilty his comb is a bit floppy which shouldnt be like that. i have some eggs coming in from a breeder as well and will be incubating them

From my experience with hatchery SS, You have a roo. The white should dissipate almost completely from the breast. Sexing early can be tricky, but all of my boys started with almost solid white breast and the girls hardly had any. Here is what my roo looked like at what I think was about 12 weeks
44962_dec_15_2010_chickens_and_dogs_086.jpg

Roo on the right and pullet on the left.

Quote:
I agree 110%..the white breast (not to mention the huge comb) at that age is a dead give away for the sex...Cock-a-doodle-ROO!!!!

Back
Top Bottom