Speckled Sussex Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Whitepines, May 13, 2011.

1. Whitepines

Whitepines Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Maryland
    I am awful at sexing chicks and I have someone who actually wants a roo, so I want to be sure I don't get rid of a pullet. I have a Speckled Sussex who was supposed to be a pullet. Someone vent sexed him for me. But I've been comparing pics and he looks very roo-ish for a pullet:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/craftyblogger/5715883350/in/set-72157626710439612
    (I tried adding the photo from the uploads here, but I guess I'm still too new.)

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    [​IMG]

I do not know the breed enough to guess, but wanted to welcome you here! [​IMG]

3. connerscroft

connerscroft Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    My 11 week old speckled sussex roo looks just like that. How old is the chicken? I'm almost positive that you have a roo. If I can figure out how to post some pics, I will show you a comparison between my ss roo & pullets. Sorry! [​IMG]

4. connerscroft

connerscroft Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    This is a pic of my pullets

[​IMG]

Vs. The pic of my roo

[​IMG]

Hope this helps![​IMG]
    The pics of the pullets & roo were taken on the same day @ age 7 weeks.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  5. lebentier

lebentier Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    SoCal
    age?

6. snazzyboots

snazzyboots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    thanks for the pics. i have a one week old speckled sussex and will be having to figure this out soon [​IMG]

7. Gracie9205

Gracie9205 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    Lake Charles, LA
    I'm definitely thinking it's a roo

8. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Howdy, Whitepines -

We have a Speckled Sussex hen (you can visit our page to see some pics of her over the first year). One thing that I've noticed is that her posture and tail feathers are different from our EE and BR hens. I'd give things some time and see what develops...perhaps an egg...

Good luck!

9. Whitepines

Whitepines Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Maryland
    Thanks for the welcome. He is about 11 weeks old and definitely looks like the roo in the above photo. Rats. According to the person who vent sexed him, this chick was the henniest looking one of the whole bunch, so maybe it was a very uneven mix of straight run chicks and they were all roos.

At least I know my RIR are all pullets. Now, to figure out the EE chicks. I think I've got three of each, but I am so awful at this for some reason. Maybe it is because I hope so hard they are hens that I ignore all the signs that they aren't? I'm pretty sure my favorite one is a roo, of course.

10. teddiliza

teddiliza Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree! A boy for sure! But some of the boys can be fun and affectionate too I've noticed. You might consider keeping him and if it doesn't work out, you can invite him for dinner one night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by