Speckled Sussex roos get all handsome?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Carpe DiHen, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Carpe DiHen

Carpe DiHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    I have a speckled sussex pullet I suspect is a roo (kind of a split vote on BYC). "She" did crow this week at 10 weeks of age.

-When would I see all the roo size and traits fill in and turn gorgeous? Does it take a year?

-"s/he is very sweet, will this change with age and when?

I have two roos if this one is a roo. I have to decide to re-home between my EE and the SS. I love the look of SS roos and I just want to know when I will see all the colors and when I can tell if he will be a sweet roo.

[​IMG]

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I do vote roo.....I don't see all the blues that I see on my boy, but maybe those feathers are yet to come in!

Love my spec sussex, etc., etc.,

Thanks for sharing. Have a blessed day. Nancy

3. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    I want to say that he/she looks like a rooster, but he/she also looks hen-ish too...... Like I said before, I don't envy you! Good luck!
    PS- If I had to go with one or the other based on sex, I'd say he is a boy.

4. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    Seems like a roo. His comb seems improper, but maybe it will improve with age.

Are you planning to incubate eggs to get chicks? If so, would you rather have one or the other boy as the dad?

If not, I would pick the one that is sweetest to people and best provider/protector of the girls. At our house, that is the Speckled Sussex Rooster Arthur.

5. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    Looks more hen-ish to me. My only speckled sussex roo was awful and he went to freezer camp. He attacked everyone. He was beautiful though.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Definately a roo....pointed saddle feathers and if he is ten weeks of age, his comb is redder than normal. That tells me that much LOL!

7. Carpe DiHen

Carpe DiHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    Can anyone tell me how long it takes for all the roo traits to fully express? 6 months? A year? When are they fully rooish? [​IMG]

Do you have to wait for after the first molt?

8. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    It is a roo for sure, I raise SS and pullets hardly ever get that big of a comb, but speaking of his comb, it does look terrible and kinda mangled and wavy and definitly not something to breed for, but he does have nice body size for that age.

And yes, at 6-7 mos old is when he will get all his color arranged and get the real pattern, but he will probably keep blooming out until he is about a year old and then he would reach his adult weight and size.

Here are a few pics of mine.

Here is a young pair
    [​IMG]

This is a young roo around 7-8 mos old, he has all his colors but still grew out a lot later on.
    [​IMG]

Here is a fully filled out year and a half old roo, I think he had just molted when this pic was taken.
    [​IMG]

Here are some of my hens
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    WOW RAREROO... Those are some pretty birds!

10. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by