Speckled Sussex Rooster, 11 mos old rooster has foot dryness on Pacific NW farm, only one out of man

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lessbusysister, Jan 29, 2013.

1. lessbusysister

lessbusysister New Egg

Jan 29, 2013
    I'll try to cover as much detail as possible, as a city sister helping a sister who is too busy farming! [drying/red issue with rooster feet in winter, only one]

My sister is a very busy and cautious farm mom with around 50 chickens just South of Salem, Oregon in the Pacific NW, and they have had slightly freezing weather around 29 at night at times... so some mud and rain/snow out but their indoor establishment is amazing; dry, warm and very clean. This speckled Sussex, probably between 8 to 10 pounds and a year in February, Charlie the Magnificent!, is having a drying issue with his feet.

She had little chicks around so ended up adding EXTRA heat to the coop and had been feeding Organic Pride Chick Starter/Grower and they often share food. When the chicks get older, she adds/feeds Organic Pride layer pellets to everyone. This is where she may be worried about extra protein?

A few days ago she noticed his feet were a little red, and a redness up the leg and then a small wound that she's been cleaning mud off of etc.

The first picture is oily because she's put on **some concoction last night, as it's much easier to examine him after dark. I hope to get photos after tonights feeding and checkup!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

** I asked what she had put on the legs, it's a garlic, olive oil, colloidal, tea tree and peppermint oils last night.

Thank you so much for your help, my sister praises this site but doesn't have the time to figure this out without me right now :)

2. Sandyd

Sandyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    I would soak his foot in warm epsom salt water, put salve on it, light telfa pad or gauze and wrap it with vet wrap, horse wrap that you can get from a tractor supply store. Pad and wrap will keep it clean. Epsom salt will draw infection out

1 person likes this.
  3. lessbusysister

lessbusysister New Egg

Jan 29, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what his feet have looked like tonight.

She's in the dark and doesn't have anyone to really help her take photos right now but I hope these can "shed some light."

4. Harry Rooster

Harry Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

This looks bad. I also have a hen with a foot issue sortof like this, except she doesn't have any wounds that I can see, just swelled and red, and it doesn't have a hard core on the bottom, like Bumblefoot does, it is soft. If yours has a wound on it, it would seem to me that it would indicate a bacterial infection of some kind. I was reading posts a little while ago, and came across another infection issue, and someone, I think it was "Michael Apple" said to get Pennecillin (?spelling), for this type of infection. He recommended injection, it is an antibiotic that targets bacterial infections. Also, I'm with "Sandyd" on the soak in warm Epsom Salt water, but I would use neosporin specifically on the wound, and maybe vaseline or the other on the rest of the foot and leg. I'm just thinking bacterial infection, since theres a wound, but may not be the culprit, just seems logical to me. Hope he gets better, and hope someone who can diagnose will comment for you.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe you should post in emergencies, injuries, illness etc.

6. lessbusysister

lessbusysister New Egg

Jan 29, 2013
    I think I have?

[​IMG]

I'm hoping to keep an extra eye out for my sister!

7. lessbusysister

lessbusysister New Egg

Jan 29, 2013
    Sorry, we love this guy... I don't see anything in these photos but ou[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]r Charlie the Magnificent! being magnificent... maybe signs?[/FONT]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Harry Rooster

I think she might have been talking about me posting my problem on here, which I have done recently, but still don't know what my problem is. I am unable to post pictures for some reason, I guess it's a dial-up issue. Mine doesn't look as bad as yours though, and now it has started on her other foot, so I think mine is not a bacteria problem, but yours looks more like that to me, but I'm not a professional, just going by my own experiences, not by any means an expert on these things, just wanted to answer you with what I have read about stuff like this. It can be an anxious thing, waiting for a response from someone to help you, and wanting to do something for your chicken. It feels like an emergency, and when you don't know what to do for them you feel so helpless knowing they need help as soon as possible, espically with something like this that's painful. I wish you luck in finding out something, but I still would soak that thing, to give her some relief. If you don't have anything but peroxide, put some of that in the warm water, and if you don't have that, just warm water will help. [​IMG]

9. Harry Rooster

Your Charlie looks just like my favorite rooster, "Little Baby" only bigger (older than him). He's not quite a year old yet, but he looks just like Charlie! Like you, I don't see anything weird, any signs, but like I said I don't know a whole lot about these things, but I have had and raised chickens without problems for about 7 years now (until recently). Maybe someone will answer soon, I don't think there are many online with us at this time of the night/day. I was actually looking for an answer to some of my problems while I was reading posts. You may have to just keep checking the thread for a while or later on in the day, if you don't get an answer before you need to sign off. You can also sign up somewhere to be contacted through your email when someone has updated your post or if you get a private message from someone.

10. lessbusysister

lessbusysister New Egg

Jan 29, 2013
    Ah, my sister says that in my last pictures posted were a few months back, and there's a black spot on the back of his right foot between his spur and toe. She's wondering if it's an infection that started from that spot... why would it be effecting both legs now?

She says that last night his legs were trembling a little when he was standing up, trying to fall asleep with one eye opened watching her watch him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by