Speckled sussex rooster wanted

Potatoemoe

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2018
Hello everyone I'm raising speckled sussex this year and had 8 hens and 2 roosters, but unfortunately had a fox a few weeks ago get all but 3 hens. I went to the Gillmanor farm swap in Va thinking surely there would be some but only one person had some and they were not very good looking. So I'm asking if anyone has any around the Powhatan, Va area. I heard someone may be bringing some to the swap at TSC in Powhatan tomorrow I will look there, but I'm still looking I'm having a heck of a time finding some.

Thanks
Zach

Zach, have you checked the breeders Directory at the American Sussex Breeders Club website? I think there are some nice breeders in VA you might get a nice started cock from. I take it your hens are hatchery grade? If so: 1. breed the high quality cock to them. Hold back the best son.
2.Then breed the daughter to him.
3.Then breed the granddaughters to him. Then breed the great granddaughters to him. By then, you should have birds which are 7/8 the high quality cocks blood.
4.Next year breed the best daughters to the son you held back the first year so it keeps things from getting to inbred.
Best,
Karen.

thanks for replying and yes they are hatchery stock which is why I passed on the last ones I found cause I really want to get some quality birds
thanks
Zach

Back
Top Bottom