Speckled Sussex roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by raindrop, Feb 14, 2008.

1. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Are they calm? As friendly as the hens? Do they free range well?
    I have heard great things about the personality/behavior of this breed so ordered a few from Ideal.

2. Settin'_Pretty

Settin'_Pretty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    North Georgia
    My house is up for sale, so no chickens for me right now, BUT, when I get moved I plan on Dominikers and sussex, about a dozen of each.
    Here is a page I use for inspiration on the sussex
    http://www.orenberg.co.uk/poultry2.htm

3. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    We had a Speckled Sussex banty roo and his two hens for a couple of years. They were very calm, tame, and friendly. The roo was so laid back that we had to keep him in a pen with his two hens for a long time, to protect him. A coon got in one day and killed the one hen; later he and his other hen got out somehow, but they kept to themselves and co-existed peacefully with the others. Lil Dude, (the roo) won second place in our local fair crowing competition. He was devoted to his one remaining hen, protected her while on the nest, and when she was killed by a hawk, he mourned for a long time; wouldn't crow, stayed in a corner. We got some new chickens and he was the Welcome Ambassador for them, and they quickly made friends. He was just getting really happy again when he was killed by a hawk who came into our barn. Sorry to get carried away, just trying to give you an idea what a great experience we had with ours. They were pretty, too. We miss them. OH, also, they were all fine with free-ranging; never went too far away from the barn.

4. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    I had a speckeled sussex cockerel for a little while. He was a pit of a nut pretty skittish but not mean or anything.

Here he is, he was a very pretty boy:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Thanks everyone. Thanks for the pics, he is a handsome boy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by