Speckled Sussex stopped laying - is this normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Imprfctme, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Imprfctme

Imprfctme Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Denton County, TX
    Hi, I'm new to this chicken thing, and I have four hens, a Delaware (Ruthie), White Rock (J. Lo), Easter Egger (Gallena) and a Speckled Sussex (Perry Katie). All of them started laying in Oct except for P.K. who waited until November. She lays the most beautiful freckled eggs, not that that's relevant, but she recently seems to have stopped laying, we haven't gotten an egg from her for two weeks now. She seems fine health wise, eating normally, energetic as ever and I looke at the outside of her vent and it seemed normal and pink. She isn't molting either.

Is this just Something particular to this breed? Are they more light sensitive than others? Or is she laying plain eggs now and I'm being tricked? I don't mind if I get just one or two eggs from her all winter, I just want to make sure she's healthy. She did lay a shell-less egg when she was first starting, or at least I'm pretty sure that was her. P.K. and Ruthie are my sweethearts, there is such a difference in their behavior compared to the other two. Any feedback much appreciated, thanks!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The Speckled Sussex vary by strain, just like all breeds. I can only comment on the ones we've had. Yes, the egg is sometimes smooth, creamy in color, not huge in size. Perhaps she is still laying but her egg may look different as she matures and dependent upon what she eats and how she processes.

That said, our SS were known for taking winter off. They are typed in the "fair to good" layer category by most bird folks and hatcheries. That means 220-230 eggs per year. They are large bodied fowl. At 230 eggs per year, that leaves 145 days, or a total of over 20 weeks combined when they do not lay. Those days won't be consecutive, of course.

I still love the bird. Wonderful personalities, business like in tending to their affairs, occasionally broody, good mother when they do, and terrific foragers. They do not lay like a Red Sex Link or a Leghorn and never will. They are Speckled Sussex. Hope that helps.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  3. Imprfctme

Aug 27, 2011
    Denton County, TX
    Thank you, that is helpful. I'll just wait until spring I guess for some more eggs from her. I agree I love this breed, just lots of curiosity and intelligence.

4. Imprfctme

Aug 27, 2011
    Denton County, TX
    So of course she laid today! I guess all is well, she's just slowing down for the winter.

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    She's probably just slowing down for the winter. My SS pullet is only laying 3-4 eggs per week and they're small for the size of the bird. BUT, she's calm and sweet and so pretty. She's also a rockstar forager. I'm hoping that she eventually goes broody because I think she'd be awesome at teaching foraging skills and those short legs and wide, fluffy backside just scream mama hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by