Speckled Sussex - Stumped! :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HMG, Aug 7, 2010.

1. HMG

HMG New Egg

Aug 4, 2010
    I have six SS chicks that are about 12 weeks old, hatched from eggs given to me by a friend.

I'm pretty sure that I've got 50% roos. I took this photograph a few minutes ago, the chicks on the left I'm assuming (from loads of research) are cockerels. I'm also guessing the ones on the right with no combs at all.. pullets. I know that sometimes chicks develop at different rates so.. I'm hoping for other opinions. I'm a first time chicken-mama, so this is all new to me. [​IMG]

Thanks much!

[​IMG]

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    4m, 2f.

3. moondog425

moondog425 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    tn
    They are pretty chickens.

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:X2

Missi

5. HMG

HMG New Egg

Aug 4, 2010
    Thanks for the quick replies... is it bad I'm disappointed that I'm right? I was hoping for more pullets..!

They are gorgeous, smart, and friendly chickens..if anyone local in New England wants a rooster.... hehehehe...

6. Barred Babies

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:No, not bad at all to be disappointed. We all want pullets.[​IMG] You can try to process them. We're going to be doing this in about 3 months for 7 roosters we have!! It will be our first time! [​IMG]

Missi

7. HMG

HMG New Egg

Aug 4, 2010
    Quote:Missi..

We're going to try and process them. Timing is everything (along with noise!) so I hope we can do it. If not, plan B? [​IMG] Offhand.. how old do you let them mature to before processing?

Thanks!!

8. Barred Babies

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:Well, from what I've read when your dealing with a dual purpose bird anywhere's from 4-5 months. And I'm leaning more towards 5 months cause one of the roos I kept from my buying spree in March is probably just about the right size and he's 5 months!! Oh and I've only heard hom crow twice!!

Missi

9. HMG

HMG New Egg

Aug 4, 2010
    Quote:Only twice?! LUCKY!! Today we gave away our first born SS roo.. because he wouldn't shut up! [​IMG] He was 5 weeks older and much, much larger. These are still quiet and will hopefully stay that way for a while.

Thanks!! [​IMG]

10. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Whew...of all the crap luck! [​IMG] To hatch out 4 roos out of 6 eggs really stinks unless you plan on eating them. One thing for sure...they will be good eating. Sussex are dual purpose birds so you will be set for some beer can chicken!

The great thing about Sussex is that the get more beautiful with age. As pretty as your birds are now the are going to get even more beautiful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by