1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Speckled Sussex survived attack, but injured

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by laughingsong, Mar 16, 2012.

1. laughingsong

laughingsong New Egg

Mar 16, 2012
    Last night something got into my coop and took 4 of my chickens. We originally thought 5 were gone, but later in the day my dear little speckled sussex came home! She's limping and has a few small cuts on her legs. Her stomach was also missing feathers and looked pretty raw and irritated. Other than that, she looks okay physically. She let me wash her stomach and legs with soap and water. I took her inside to keep an eye on her, but I'm not sure what to do. She is acting very docile and just stands there. She's eaten a little bit. A few oats, but won't touch the normal pellets. Could she be in shock? Any advice would be wonderful!

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I think she is still in shock. Keep her seperated in a darkened quiet place. Put some vitamins in her water and an antibiotic to keep any infection from starting as animal bites can get nasty. Put some neosporine on her leg wounds and just let her rest and keep an eye on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by