1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Speckled Sussex toe injury or bumble foot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cluckasuedledoo, Feb 27, 2013.

1. cluckasuedledoo

cluckasuedledoo Just Hatched

Apr 13, 2011
    Hello, here's another foot issue. Day before yesterday I noticed my 1.5 y.o. speckled Sussex hen making a little hop when she ran to catch up with her cronies.
    It was pretty slight but still caught my attention. After noticing her holding it up when she stood still, I picked her up and examined the foot. The middle toe has a slightly enlarged second joint. Noticeable larger than the other joints but still pretty small. Her foot did not have any large abscesses or noticable heat. It seemed to match the other foot in all aspects but that one joint. The scales on her legs seemed rough about half way up her leg and the sole was a pinkish color. Any ideas on what to do next? Might she have punctured it and now there's infection in the joint and th epuncture sight has healed over without me knowing? I don't want to start her right off on antibiotics unless some of the more seasoned folks on here suggest I do. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. She is a heavy bodied lovely bird and I want all my girls to stay healthy and happy.
    P.S this foot is not her foot. Will try and attach a pic tomorrow

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Yes please do post a picture and up close of foot padded area, etc. Will stay tuned and you are 100% right on, please don't start meds until you know what may be happening..... Best wishes to you. Also, do you see her leaning against coop, etc to stay upright. Any other changes in her behavior, eating, drinking, evacuation, etc???? Praying for a speedy recovery!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by